BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9
data supptrir (keep= qval qnam idvarval trseq);
set sdtm.supptrir;
where qnam='REVPER' and qval='Review 1';
trseq=input(idvarval,best.);
run;

above code should work (tested on another dataset), but for the current dataset it does not work. I got:

Capture.PNG

Idvarval length is 50. I tried both strip(idvarval) and compress(idvarval) in the input statement, also 8., ??best. etc but never worked. However, when I do it in two steps, it works:

data supptrir (keep=usubjid qval qnam idvarval);
set sdtm.supptrir;
where qnam='REVPER' and qval='Review 1';
run;
data supptrir; 
set supptrir ;
trseq=input(idvarval,best.);
run;

what could be the reason? very strange. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a possibility.

Perhaps TRSEQ is already part of SDTM.SUPPTRIR, and has a format connected with it such as 3.1.  In that case, the format isn't wide enough to display the results you are getting.  But the extra DATA step drops the existing TRSEQ (and its accompanying interfering format).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Enter in your 1st step the line:

put IDVARVAL $hex8. ;

And check - are the trailing characters after the ID number are realy spaces ('20'x in ascii ) ?

You can also do:

textID = translate(IDVARVAL, '#',' ');

put textID=

Do you see in log lines like:  10##### or still 10 

Use the hex value in compress function.

ballardw
Super User

Since PICTURES do not convey actual data VALUES show us your actual data. https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a possibility.

Perhaps TRSEQ is already part of SDTM.SUPPTRIR, and has a format connected with it such as 3.1.  In that case, the format isn't wide enough to display the results you are getting.  But the extra DATA step drops the existing TRSEQ (and its accompanying interfering format).

fengyuwuzu
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes, this is the reason. There was already a TRSEQ variable, although it is all blank values. I should have checked that. Thanks for your hints. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation