BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a data set good_bad created by the following data step:

data good_bad;
    input answer $40.;
    datalines;
1324AcB876acccCCC
123 456
aabbccAABBCC123123
abcde12345
invalid
;
run;

Now I want to create a new data set valid which consists of the observations from the good_bad whose characters are from 'ABC', 'abc', and '0123456789'. While the trailing blanks are ignored, the embedded blank should be considered invalid. Based on these requirements, I wrote a data step as follows:

data valid;
    set good_bad;
    answer = trim(upcase(answer));
    if verify(answer, 'ABC0123456789') = 0; 
run;

Unluckily, this program doesn't produce the output data set which consists of line 1 and line 3 of good_bad. Instead, it contains 0 rows. It seems that the TRIM function didn't remove the trailing blanks, as it was supposed to do. Can anyone help me solve this problem (by only using TRIM and VERIFY functions)? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Depends upon where you use the trim or strip function. e.g., the following does do what you expect:

data valid3;
    set good_bad;
    if verify(trim(upcase(answer)), 'ABC0123456789') =0;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
art297
Opal | Level 21

Trim only removes spaces to the right, not the left. However, verify identifies the first invalid character, so you could use:

data good_bad;
    input answer $40.;
    datalines;
1324AcB876acccCCC
123 456
aabbccAABBCC123123
abcde12345
invalid
;
data valid;
    set good_bad;
    answer = trim(upcase(answer));
    if length(answer) le verify(answer, 'ABC0123456789');
run;

Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. But I don't think I have leading blanks in the original ANSWER variable. Even so, I can use STRIP in place of TRIM to remove all leading and trailing blanks as follows:

data valid;
    set good_bad;
    temp = strip(upcase(answer));
    if verify(temp, 'ABC0123456789') = 0; 
run;

However, this still gives an empty data set.

Your suggested program works correctly, I am just curious about why (my simple) VERIFY statement doesn's solve the problem, even the blanks problem is properly handled in advance?

art297
Opal | Level 21

Depends upon where you use the trim or strip function. e.g., the following does do what you expect:

data valid3;
    set good_bad;
    if verify(trim(upcase(answer)), 'ABC0123456789') =0;
run;

Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, it does! 

On the other hand, why does the additional assignment statement spoil the program? To me, the working program and the previous one do not have an essential difference. Could you please explain more to me why these two are different? Thanks again.

Reeza
Super User

What's the length of the two variables?
How does SAS treat a variable that has a longer length than then the actual values?

Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the helpful hint.

art297
Opal | Level 21

My programs uses the trim function within the verify function .. your's didn't!. As such, you trimmed the variable, but then SAS right padded it before it got to the function.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS stores character variables as fixed length. When your actual value is shorter than the storage length it is padded on the right with spaces.  So this type of a statement does nothing since any spaces removed by the trim function are just added back when the value is saved back into the variable.

charvar = trim(charvar);
Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your crystal-clear explanation, appreciate it!

Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7
By the way, may I ask how do you highlight the SAS keyword in the code chunk?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you click on Insert SAS Code icon (looks like the SAS run icon) in the Rich Text editor on this site it will make a pop-up window were you can place your SAS code. In addition to attempting to highlight the SAS syntax it will also preserve your lines of text as-is instead of treating them as paragraphs like the normal edit box does.  To edit the text you have created this way put the cursor anywhere in the code block and click the icon.  Do not try to edit in the simple edit box or it will mess up the formatting.

@Zhanxiong wrote:
By the way, may I ask how do you highlight the SAS keyword in the code chunk?

Zhanxiong
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks, it works. I edited my original post.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation