BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm trying to make a case for upgrading from Version 9.1.3 on Solaris 64 to Version 9.2. SAS is mainly used for ETL processing.

The upgrade documentation I have seen is mainly advertising PC SAS type reporting functions which are not important where I'm currently working.

Does anybody know of a technical reasons for upgrading to 9.2. Examples would be bug fixes or processing speed on Solaris improvements.
The only two I know know are:
1. Fix a bug in LIBNAME XML processing error handling that exists in 9.1.3
2. Fix a bug with noquotelenmax option handling in 9.1.3
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
have a look at SCAPROC
it analyses running sas programs
and can provide a lot of detail information
It provides the information for the DI Studio Code Importer
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
SCAPROC looks like it could come in handy when debugging large macro language jobs.

I'll need to find something more concrete to impress my clients. Something that will improve performance would be nice. I'm rewriting their ETL's for efficiency. I've got the SAS ETL times down to compare favorably with straight C code ETL's. Anything that 9.2 has that could improve speed more would make a business case for upgrade easier.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Hi

In case you are using SAS DI Studio for developing these ETLs then I can only recommend to upgrade as soon as possible.

The new SAS DIS 4x (which needs SAS9.2) is a huge improvement over the v3x versions for SAS9.1.

The DIS 4x version allows a much better and controlled way to develop and unit test flows. All transformations have been improved (i.e. the SCD2 loader allows now mixed SCD1 and SCD2 loading, or permanent storing of xref tables, all transformation have an option for pre- and postcode (huge reduction of user written code nodes), all transformations allow subsetting of data, and and and and...).

Development and Unit testing with DIS 4x is so much more efficient than with 3x that this alone easily justifies an upgrade to SAS 9.2

After beeing spoiled with the DIS 4x version I'm not sure if I still would accept project work where I have to use a 3x version.

Cheers
Patrick
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
My current client does not use DI Studio. It looks like a good reason to upgrade for those who do.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation