BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kisumsam
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, I'm reading the advanced cert. prep guide and I got two questions about the code below:

data work.quarter;
do i = 9, 10, 11;
  nextfile="c:\sasuser\month"
  !!compress(put(i,2.)!!".dat",’ ’);
    do until (lastobs);
      infile temp filevar=nextfile end=lastobs;
      input Flight $ Origin $ Dest $ Date : date9.
      RevCargo : comma15.2;
      output;
    end;
end;
stop;
run;

Question 1:

The code is to read in multiple text files (i.e. month9.txt, month10.txt and month11.txt). The STOP statement (in the second last line) is for the DO loop according to the prep guide. I'm wondering why it is needed when the loop is supposed to end after i = 11.

Question 2:

I'm also wondering why we need the OUTPUT statement (line #9). Can anyone explain the process behind this?

Thank you.
Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When there is no change to the filevar=variable, SAS can use the EOF of that one file to terminate the data step.

As soon as there is a change, SAS cannot be sure that any given infile is the last one and disregards the EOF marker, therefore causing a new iteration of the data step. Since that causes a new change in the filevar (start with the first of your 3 input files), the process starts again.

If you do

do i = 11 to 11;

in your original step, you can omit the stop statement. As soon as there is a change in nextfile (and the SAS interpreter seems to be quite intelligent at inferring a possible change from the code), you get an infinite loop.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Loko
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

Actually it is not for the DO loop , but for the datastep.

It is clearly stated in the book : "STOP statement
prevents an infinite loop of the DATA step."

kisumsam
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Loko for the prompt response. Could you explain what causes the infinite loop of the data step? From what I understand, there is just one do-loop that goes from 9, 10 and 11. I am not sure what causes the data step to run infinitely.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Without the stop statement, the data step would automatically go into its next iteration and do the whole process over again. And again. And again ....

Since you do not have a set or similar statement where the data step could get an EOF-marker from the contributing dataset(s), it would iterate forever.

kisumsam
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Kurt. Sorry I just wanna make sure I fully understand this. I simplified the program and removed the two DO-loops:

data work.quarter;
  nextfile="c:\sasuser\month9.dat";
run;	

I will be reading in only the month9.dat. In this example, there is no SET statement either but it runs fine without the STOP statement. Could you explain why?

Thanks so much.

Sam

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When there is no change to the filevar=variable, SAS can use the EOF of that one file to terminate the data step.

As soon as there is a change, SAS cannot be sure that any given infile is the last one and disregards the EOF marker, therefore causing a new iteration of the data step. Since that causes a new change in the filevar (start with the first of your 3 input files), the process starts again.

If you do

do i = 11 to 11;

in your original step, you can omit the stop statement. As soon as there is a change in nextfile (and the SAS interpreter seems to be quite intelligent at inferring a possible change from the code), you get an infinite loop.

kisumsam
Quartz | Level 8

Kurt, your explanation is extremely clear. Thanks so much!

Now I got another question about the Do-until loop. 

data work.quarter;
do i = 9, 10, 11;
  nextfile="c:\sasuser\month"
  !!compress(put(i,2.)!!".dat",’ ’);
*    do until (lastobs);
      output;
*    end;
end;
stop;
run;

I ran the code above with the DO-UNTIL loop commented out and SAS read in only the first record from each external file. Could you explain why SAS behave like this? I just want to fully understand why the DO-UNTIL loop is needed here.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The infile statement has two functions:

- it names the infile and sets parameters

- but it also marks the place in the code where the read is performed.

So, in the do i = 9, 10, 11 loop, the filename is set, the file is opened, a read is performed, and then the next iteration of the do begins, causing a new file to be opened.

The do until(lastobs) creates an explicit loop over the infile.

The output in the inner do loop is necessary, as without it the data step would have one implicit output set up at the end of the data step, which is never reached because of the stop.

kisumsam
Quartz | Level 8

That's some great explanation. Very much appreciate it, Kurt. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation