BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Yes.  Someone did that, this morning, in a post about transposing data.  There were around ten or more replies and everything disappeared.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
art297
Opal | Level 21

Yes.  Someone did that, this morning, in a post about transposing data.  There were around ten or more replies and everything disappeared.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Since there is no way of knowing the effect until one does it, I'm sure that a number of us have done it.  Actually, I'd rather keep the post there, but let the poster indicate that others should disregard it (and possibly why).

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Art and DN! That explains why I couldn't find some of my posts. How about the points from the deleted posts?

art297
Opal | Level 21

I believe that they evaporate simultaneously.  That part should definitely be changed!

art297
Opal | Level 21

Linlin, I just tested it and, yes!  As soon as one posts they are credited with 2 points.  If the post is deleted (at least by yourself), 2 points are deducted.  Thus, I can only guess that any points that had been awarded are also deducted.  That part, though, I can't test by myself.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Art,

I will check my points after this post. you can delete your and mine if you want to find out.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Linlin: I wouldn't intentionally delete any of our points

Hai.kuo: I'm sure that Renee is following this and has already noticed our concerns

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Since new version of forum has just lauched, maybe it is the right time for us to suggest forum admins do something, such as after people delete their posts, the contents will be deleted, while the struture remains. I mean , come on, the second you post something in public forum like this, you kinda waive your right of keeping it only to yourself anyway, and they should stay as long as they are not against forum policy or laws.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you all!

I think SAS should make a post undeletable once there are replies.  - Linlin

Howles
Quartz | Level 8

I would add: "and uneditable".

Linlin wrote:

Thank you all!

I think SAS should make a post undeletable once there are replies.  - Linlin

art297
Opal | Level 21

Howard, here I'm not so sure that I agree.  Most of us have, at some time, posted something that we quickly realize is misleading/wrong/detrimental to someone trying to learn the language.

I, personally, don't have a problem with the poster, in such cases, beomg able to delete their own post or at least being able to modify it so that it isn't misleading/wrong/detrimental.

What I am concerned about is that I don't want them to have the capability of deleting other people's posts.

Am I missing something?

And, to clarify another point in this discussion, when someone deletes their own post, I think that they, personally, should lose the points they gained from adding the post that they decided to delete.

Howles
Quartz | Level 8

It can get confusing. AA posts something. BB replies about some aspect. AA edits the post in a way which removes or alters the context for BB's reply. Things no longer make sense.

I presume that one can reply to his or her own post. That should be sufficient.

Arthur Tabachneck wrote:

Howard, here I'm not so sure that I agree.  Most of us have, at some time, posted something that we quickly realize is misleading/wrong/detrimental to someone trying to learn the language.

I, personally, don't have a problem with the poster, in such cases, beomg able to delete their own post or at least being able to modify it so that it isn't misleading/wrong/detrimental.

What I am concerned about is that I don't want them to have the capability of deleting other people's posts.

Am I missing something?

And, to clarify another point in this discussion, when someone deletes their own post, I think that they, personally, should lose the points they gained from adding the post that they decided to delete.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation