BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
magic_q
Calcite | Level 5

The codes as follows are from a text book:

DATA flowersales; INFILE '*****\MyRawData\TropicalFlowers.dat' ; INPUT CustomerID $4. @6 SaleDate MMDDYY10. @ 17 Variety $9. SaleQuantity SaleAmount; * Sorting the data by saleamount in descending order; PROC SORT DATA = flowersales; BY DESCENDING SaleAmount; RUN; * Find biggest order and pass the customer id to a macro variable ; DATA _NULL_ ; SET flowersales; IF _N_ = 1 THEN CALL SYMPUT( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID); ELSE STOP ; RUN; PROC PRINT DATA = flowersales; WHERE CustomerID = "&selectedcustomer" ; FORMAT SaleDate WORDDATE18. SaleAmount DOLLAR7.; TITLE "Customer &selectedcustomer Had the Single Largest Order" ; RUN

Since I want to see the purpose of  IF _N_ =1 THEN..  ,

IF _N_ = 1 THEN CALL SYMPUT( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);

I change the above syntaxas as

IF _N_ = 2 THEN CALL SYMPUT( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);

or

IF _N_ = 9 THEN CALL SYMPUT( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);

or directly delte IF _N_ =  THEN

CALL SYMPUT( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);

The above four situations produce the same result (see attachment, for the dataset, please also see attachment), so it seems that IF _N_ = 1 is not necessary. 

Could anyone tell me is that true? If not, what is the actuall purpose of  IF _N_ = 1  in this situation?

sss.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Editor's Note:  Thanks also to @mohamed_zaki for his additional insight into the issue.

The 

if _n_ = 1 then call symput(); else stop;

construct makes the data step create the macro variable in the first iteration of the data step (which happens to be when the first record of the dataset in the set; statement is read), and in the second iteration (where _n_ = 2) the execution of the data step stops. Basically, this means "get me the first record of the data set".

Another method would have been

data _null_ ;                   
set flowersales (obs=1);  
call symput( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);                       
run;

as this makes the data step read only the first observation of flowersales, and no explicit stop is needed.

Now, in your original example, the following may have happened:

- you ran the original code, which set &selectedcustomer to the intended value

- you changed the number (2, then 9) in the if _n_ = condition

- you ran the code, but it entered the else stop; branch in the first iteration (_n_ being 1) and did not set &selectedcustomer at all

- since &selectedcustomer was already set from the first run, nothing seemed to change

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

That's not right...

As its being used, it's a record counter, so it's getting the first record in the data set and assigning that value to a macro variable.

First it sorts the data descending so the largest value is at the top of the data set and then it gets the customer ID of the customer who had the highest sales. The macro variable is then used in the next step to include it in the title.

data _null_;
set sashelp.class;

if _n_=1 then put "Record 1";
else if _n_=2 then put "Record 2";

else if _n_=12 then put "Record 12";
run;

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you @Reeza. I am still a bit confused. I just don't understand which syntax indicate to choose all the observations where customer ID=356W. Could you tell me how to do if I want to select the observations where customer ID = 240W? Maybe that will make it clearer.
Reeza
Super User

If you're looking for the usage of a variable, look for where it occurs in your text. 

In this case, search and see where the macro variable, selectedCustomer, is being used later on in the report.

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for explanation. Now it is clear.
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

All that because the stament

ELSE STOP ;

try to delete it, then you get different results based on the order from the sort.

What happening is that you run the code at the begining as it is so the macro got the value of first ID in order.

Then you changed the code but every time the STOP is happening before the macro variable is called by the new values.

And this is not issue with the code, but the code match the purpose from it exactly which is 

1- Get the first observation value

2- then terminate in the second iteration as now point from next iterations.

Hope that help you.

magic_q
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! It helps!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Editor's Note:  Thanks also to @mohamed_zaki for his additional insight into the issue.

The 

if _n_ = 1 then call symput(); else stop;

construct makes the data step create the macro variable in the first iteration of the data step (which happens to be when the first record of the dataset in the set; statement is read), and in the second iteration (where _n_ = 2) the execution of the data step stops. Basically, this means "get me the first record of the data set".

Another method would have been

data _null_ ;                   
set flowersales (obs=1);  
call symput( "selectedcustomer",CustomerID);                       
run;

as this makes the data step read only the first observation of flowersales, and no explicit stop is needed.

Now, in your original example, the following may have happened:

- you ran the original code, which set &selectedcustomer to the intended value

- you changed the number (2, then 9) in the if _n_ = condition

- you ran the code, but it entered the else stop; branch in the first iteration (_n_ being 1) and did not set &selectedcustomer at all

- since &selectedcustomer was already set from the first run, nothing seemed to change

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation