BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

In my data set, missing data, even when using truncover or missover, is shown in the last column (in this case the 3rd), even though for the 5th observation the second column has the missing data. How do I resolve this so that the second data is shown as missing?

Here is the raw data:

90 80 98
78 88
65 66 69
92 94 96
78     79   /*Note that the second data point is missing*/

------------------------

/*Here is my code:*/

Libname Learn'/folders/myfolders/Learn' ;

Data Problem_21_3 ;
    infile '/folders/myfolders/Learn/Scores_List.sas' truncover ;   /*or Missover*/
    input Score1-Score3 : 2. ;
run ;

-------------------

Note that for the 5th observation, the Score2, not Score3, is missing. However, the output shows that Score3 is missing

Here is the Output:

Score1   Score2  Score3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

If it's just too much trouble to specify the columns, you could try an approach that gets rid of the colons.  That's causing the problem as you scan from left to right and  SAS finds nothing there.  SAS just keeps on scanning till it finds something.  Here's another approach you could try, assuming that all variables are two digits long, and a single space appears between:

input (score1-score3) (2. +1);

The instructions on the right get repeated for all variables in the list.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
art297
Opal | Level 21

In the fifth record simply insert a space-period-space between the first and second scores.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Astounding
PROC Star

Does your incoming data line up in the same columns each time?  If so, it's much safer to tell SAS which columns to read:

input @1 score1 2.   @4 score2 2.  @7 score3 2. ;

And that would handle the original question you asked as well.

ManitobaMoose
Quartz | Level 8

Ok, so for a simple data set like this I could simply add a period for Score2, or I could use column inputs. But this is really an exercise to learn what to do if I had a large data set, of, for example, 100 scores and 50 observations. In that case, the column would work, but does this situation preclude the use of list inputs, or is there a way around this? I guess that is the real question.

Thanks!

Astounding
PROC Star

If it's just too much trouble to specify the columns, you could try an approach that gets rid of the colons.  That's causing the problem as you scan from left to right and  SAS finds nothing there.  SAS just keeps on scanning till it finds something.  Here's another approach you could try, assuming that all variables are two digits long, and a single space appears between:

input (score1-score3) (2. +1);

The instructions on the right get repeated for all variables in the list.

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Try dlm=" " with DSD and truncover options in Infile. Make sure the missing places are left one blank.

Thanks,
Suryakiran
ManitobaMoose
Quartz | Level 8

Ok, I tried that, but now the score2 and score3 are missing for the 5th observation, instead of just the second observation:

ManitobaMoose
Quartz | Level 8
I meant to say:

Ok, I tried that, but now the score2 and score3 are missing for the 5th observation, instead of just score2.
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Seems like you have more than two blanks between 78 and 79. It must have only two, since the data is delimited by blank DSD will treat two consecutive delimiters as missing. If you have more than 2 then another missing value is read. If your data pattern is in this way the best way is using comma delimiter. Use DSD with comma separated values, then two consecutive delimiters(A,,B) are treated as missing. 

Thanks,
Suryakiran
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

filename FT15F001 temp;
data miss;
   infile FT15F001 missover;
   input @;
   _infile_ = transtrn(_infile_,'     ',' . ');
   input x1-x3;
   parmcards;
90 80 98
78 88
65 66 69
92 94 96
78     79 
;;;;
   run;
proc print;
   run;

Capture.PNG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation