BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I'm reposting my previous hijacked thread on this subject. Smiley Happy  I am NOT interested in doing ANYTHING that SAS already knows how to do.

I may have asked this before I've been thinking about it for a long time.

Suppose I want to collect user input in the form of an array initialization.  I want to use SAS to parse or expand the initialization e.g.

152 %let parm = (4*40 3*(3*7 8 9 10));

153 data _null_;

154 array parm[30];

155 retain parm &parm;

WARNING: Partial value initialization of the array parm.

156 put (parm

• ) (/=);
  • 157 run;

parm1=40

parm2=40

parm3=40

parm4=40

parm5=7

parm6=7

parm7=7

parm8=8

parm9=9

parm10=10

parm11=7

parm12=7

parm13=7

parm14=8

parm15=9

parm16=10

parm17=7

parm18=7

parm19=7

parm20=8

parm21=9

parm22=10

parm23=.

parm24=.

parm25=.

parm26=.

parm27=.

parm28=.

parm29=.

parm30=.

As you can see SAS knows just what to do and give me exactly what I want.  I just don't want the warning.  I even works for character strings.

204 %let parm = (4*'hello kitty' 3*(3*('hello yourself')));

205 data _null_;

206 array parm[30] $32;

207 retain parm &parm;

WARNING: Partial value initialization of the array parm.

208 put (parm

• ) (/=);
  • 209 run;

parm1=hello kitty

parm2=hello kitty

parm3=hello kitty

parm4=hello kitty

parm5=hello yourself

parm6=hello yourself

parm7=hello yourself

parm8=hello yourself

parm9=hello yourself

parm10=hello yourself

parm11=hello yourself

parm12=hello yourself

parm13=hello yourself

parm14=

parm15=

parm16=

parm17=

parm18=

parm19=

parm20=

parm21=

parm22=

parm23=

parm24=

parm25=

parm26=

parm27=

parm28=

parm29=

parm30=

The only way I can see to get rid of the warning it to know what the number of elements the "initialization list" is going to produce.  But I ain't smart enough for that and why should I need to cause SAS knows already.  I just don't want to be warned.

Perhaps another feature in SAS accepts the same "initialization list" syntax that doesn't produce the WARNING.

2 REPLIES 2
    Tom
    Super User Tom
    Super User

Did you look at the PARMS statement for GLIMMIX, VARIOGRAM etc?  The syntax is a little different but if there is anyway to get it to generate the values and output them into a dataset then you could pull those values into a space delimited values to use for the ARRAY statement.

Tom
    Super User Tom
    Super User

Proc POWER also has number lists.  Perhaps this can be used to expand a list of values?

Number-Lists

A number-list can be one of two things: a series of one or more numbers expressed in the form of one or more DOLISTs, or a missing value indicator (.).

The DOLIST format is the same as in the DATA step language. For example, for the one-sample  test you can specify four scenarios (30, 50, 70, and 100) for a total sample size in any of the following ways.

NTOTAL = 30 50 70 100   NTOTAL = 30 to 70 by 20 100

A missing value identifies a parameter as the result parameter; it is valid only with options representing parameters you can solve for in a given analysis. For example, you can request a solution for NTOTAL:

NTOTAL = .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
    • 2 replies
    • 0 likes
    • 2 in conversation