BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
evp000
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

I keep getting this warning 

WARNING: Failed to scan text length or time type for column xxx

I'm using the Excel libname and reading the file with the data step.  I have already checked the registry and TypeGuessRows=0.

I read the same file repeatedly and get this message for the same column every time.  I tried forcing a length:

set ln."Tabname$"n (dbsastype = (xxx= 'char(500)'));

but that doesn't work.   

There's no problem with the data.  I just don't want to see this message in the log.

V9.2. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sounds like you have some garbage in your Excel file.  Not surprising, Excel really shouldn't be used for any data purpose.  A Google found this discussion, you could try some of the options therein:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.soft-sys.sas/Tcg6V7Sj8vk

Not much we can really do, are not able to recreat your issue, and I wouldn't download Excel files myself anyways.

evp000
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, that was helpful.  If I set scan_text to 'no' then specify the lengths myself, it works but I don't want to set the lengths myself for the rest of the sheets.  It means I have to have one libname with scan_text=no, used for this one sheet, and another with scan_text=yes for the rest of the sheets, even though it's the same excel file. 

So with scan_text=no I could

a) specify the lengths with a length statement, in which case I had to set option VARLENCHK = NOWARN for this step since the lengths were conflicting with the default lengths SAS wanted to assign.  And get rid of the informats.

b) set the lengths with (DBSASTYPE=...).  It took me a while since, when specifying the source column from Excel, you have to use "Column Name"n  <- n for the original name with spaces.

ballardw
Super User

Do want to correct the data to suppress the message or just not show the message?

evp000
Quartz | Level 8

The data is ok, in fact, I don't even use that column.  I just don't want the message. Could I delete that one variable at source, in the set statement?  How?  With the Excel column name? 

set specns."Sheetname$"n  ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation