BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Here's what I understand.
1) you have original data that is multiple observations per "ID"
2) the observations fall into multiple "types" for each ID. The "types" you have shown us are "Class" and "Teacher"
3) each observation has column/field called TXT, which is an explanatory text string

Here's what I don't understand. You keep referring to an output DATASET as though it was possible for a SAS DATASET to contain a carriage control or line feed. A SAS DATASET is a proprietary structure of rows and columns, and as such, does not contain line feeds or carriage returns, such as you implied in your first post, when you said:

"Then my output shd be like this, where 'abc' 'def' are in the same record but different lines, i need kind of a line break."

[pre]
1 abc
def
2 efg
ghi
[/pre]

If SAS were going to store your data into a SAS DATASET structure, it would either be something like this where each value of TXT for ID would become a numbered variable:
[pre]
ID TXT1 TXT2
1 abc def
2 efg ghi
[/pre]
OR like this, where your program "concatenated" all the individual values for TXT together into one long variable, possibly with a delimiter of some kind between each individual value for TXT (shown below as the | character):
[/pre]
ID AllText
1 abc | def
2 efg | ghi
[/pre]

There is no "kind of line feed" in a SAS DATASET. If, on the other hand, you created a REPORT (such as with PROC REPORT), then you could line up 'def' underneath 'abc' for one value of ID. Or, you could write a custom DATA step program that would structure your output REPORT that way.

But then, in another post, you said:
"Sorry I forgot to mention that after vertical concatenation, SAS dataset will be uploaded back to a teradata table. So I guess I need some basic formatting that will be supported by a table."

Ah, OK...the SAS dataset will be uploaded back to a Teradata table -- so either you are going to use SAS/Access for Teradata in order to move SAS data into Teradata form or you are going to use????

When you said "I guess I need some basic formatting that will be supported by a (Teradata) table" -- my question to you is -- do you know what kind of formatting that would be???

On this web site:
http://teradatau.courses.teradata.com/learning/BLADE_MS/legacy/35502_IntrotoTD_DEMO/wbt-glossary.htm

it says that:
"Each Teradata Database table is stored in a set of subtables. There is one table for each kind of data, including:
----Table headers
----Primary data
----Fallback data
----Secondary Indexes
----Fallback Secondary Indexes "

So I don't still understand whether you are creating a REPORT or loading DATA.

Then, later, in response to chang_y_chung's solution, you said:
"This works perfectly for vertical concatenation.Thanks a lot!
However when I said HTML, I meant some basic formatting. Eg. if there are 2 txt messages that get concatenated, then i would like to have them on separate lines."

Here's the thing, though -- "basic formatting" doesn't exist in a vacuum. Basic formatting with HTML tags, implies that the HTML tags will be rendered by an application that knows what the HTML tags mean. The <BR> tag would ONLY "work" when a browser or some software that recognized the <BR> tag inserted the break when RENDERING the underlying HTML.

So it seems to me that, at one point, you had a solution, one which inserted an HTML &LT;BR&GT; tag into your concatenated text strings (using PROC TRANSPOSE and then concatenating what came from PROC TRANSPOSE).

HTML is "basic formatting" -- do you know whether Teradata tables can actually contain HTML??? Clearly, a text variable in a SAS dataset could conceivably contain HTML tags -- but when you look at the SAS dataset, you will see the "unrendered" HTML tags.

How are you trying to view this output that has a <BR> tag embedded in it??? In a browser??? In Teradata??? Or in SAS??? SAS will NEVER show a <BR> tag as a "line feed" equivalent -- when the <BR> tag is "embedded" in the data. You would have to look at the DATA inside a browser - -to look at your data inside a browser, you would need to create an HTML report from the data.

If I modify the Chang's program just a bit -- at the very end -- if you look in the SAS dataset, you will see the <BR/> tag. If you look at the ODS HTML output report file: c:\temp\look_in_browser.html, however, you will see the equivalent of the "line feed" -- because the BROWSER knows what to do with the HTML <BR> tag.

I believe you already have the answer to your original question, but you will NEVER see the "line feed" inside the SAS dataset.

cynthia
[pre]
/* test data */
data one;
input id txt $;
cards;
1 abc
1 def
2 efg
2 ghi
;
run;

/* transpose to wide */
proc transpose data=one out=wide(drop=_:) prefix=txt;
by id;
var txt;
run;

/* concatenate txt fiels delimited by "<br/>", htmlencoded */
data two;
set wide;
length allTxt $1000;
allTxt = catx("#br#", of txt:);
allTxt = htmlencode(allTxt);
allTxt = tranwrd(allTxt, "#br#", "<br/>");
keep id allTxt;
run;

/* check in LISTING and check in the browser */
/* in LISTING, you will see <br/> in the HTML, you will see the "line feed" */
/* But, in the DATASET, you will ALWAYS see the <br/> tag */

** need PROTECTSPECIALCHARS=OFF so the BREAK tag is respected as a BREAK tag;
ods html file='c:\temp\look_in_browser.html' style=sasweb;
proc print data=two noobs
style(column)={protectspecialchars=off};
run;
ods html close;
[/pre]
deleted_user
Not applicable
You are right Cynthia. For a line break what I need is just
and that should work.This is one last piece I need to address.
I used the code for line break as well as for adding a heading. I have my output looking like this:
Id Txt
1 Class
ABC is my class
Teacher
DEF is my teacher

So I was thinking of using a MERGE BY to merge all these 4 separate records into one. But for that I need to have ID on each of these 4 records and currently the ID is missing in the last 3. The code that actually adds the heading is given below. Can you help me change this code so that I get an ID in every record so taht merging would be easier?

data temp;
input ID $ Type $ Txt & $20.;
cards;1 Class ABC is my class1 Teacher DEF is my teacher2 cClass aABC is my class2 tTeacher dDEF is my teacher;
run;

data temp;
set temp;
_txt=txt;
txt=type;
if id eq lag(id) then call missing(id);
output; txt=_txt;
call missing(id);
output; drop _txt type;
run;

Thank you!
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It is very hard to read your posting. I suspect that you used <br/> or some other HTML tags in your code that made subsequent formatting look bad.

This is a useful forum posting:
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=27609毙 about how, to use the [pre] and the [/pre] tags around your code in order to avoid having it become virtually unreadable.

I do think, however, that you are confusing OUTPUT and INPUT. INPUT data is what you read -into- a SAS dataset, then you do some analysis or graphing with the SAS dataset and then you create OUTPUT--either an OUTPUT dataset or an OUTPUT report.

My original understanding was that your INPUT data looked like any of these previous examples you have posted:
Initial INPUT on Jan 13:
[pre]
1 abc
1 def
2 efg
2 ghi
[/pre]

Initial desired OUTPUT on Jan 13:
[pre]
1 abc
def
2 efg
ghi
[/pre]

Then, you posted slightly different input data on Jan 13, Jan 14, Jan 19 and now, today, you say that you have INPUT that, to me, looks very like the OUTPUT you said you wanted.

The way I read your post, you said that (I cleaned up the line breaks)
" I have my output looking like this:
[pre]
Id Txt
1 Class
ABC is my class
Teacher
DEF is my teacher
[/pre]

And then your post continues with:
"I was thinking of using a MERGE BY to merge all these 4 separate records into one. But for that I need to have ID on each of these 4 records and currently the ID is missing in the last 3."

To which I respond, HUH???? What happened to your original INPUT data that you showed us where ID was on every row in the original INPUT dataset -- back on Jan 13 or 14????? Why would you use your OUTPUT to do any type of MERGE at all???

I am so confused by what you have, what your INPUT really looks like, how you're reading that INPUT data and what OUTPUT you want.

Now you want to merge the OUTPUT back into a form that looks like the original INPUT you showed us on Jan 13??? I am thoroughly confused.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Let me explain again. I tried to simplify the data wherever possible earlier.My I/P data looks like this and there are many otehr columns but they do not matter for my O/P.In my I/P shown below all the 4 are separate records.

Id Type Txt
1 Class ABC is my Class
1 Class I like my class
1 Teacher DEF is my teacher

There could be multiple rows for each of the TYPE's but I have shown only 2 per TYPE for simplicity.
When I say I need my O/P as below, I mean one record per ID, with a heading to differentiate between the various TYPE's.

ID Text
1 Class
---->HEading
ABC is my class

I like my class

Teacher
---> Another heading
DEF is my teacher

I like my teacher

I first did a transpose on my I/P by ID and Txt AND var as Txt. Then I used Then i used the allTxt = catx("
", of txt:). And then I used the code below to get a heading for each type.
data temp;
set temp;
_txt = txt;
txt = type;
if id eq lag(id) then call missing(id);
output;
txt = _txt;
call misiing(id);
output;
drop _txt type;
run;

Now what I have achieved till now is given below, which are 4 separate records and I would like to merge them into one.

Id Text
1 Class ----> HEading is a separate record.
Abc is my class
I like my class ->2'nd record
Teacher -----> Anotehr heading a 3'rd record
DEF is my teacher
I like my teacher-> 4'th record

Here the id is not populated in the last 3 records. Now if I have to merge BY id , I would need the id in all records. So can I make a change to the code I posted above so that I get an ID in my output for every record.

Thank you!
I have no idea why my post looks like this!! Message was edited by: sasnewbee
Ksharp
Super User
Hi.
>However the ID is not populate in the last 3 records.

If you want these id, can remove 'call missing' statement.

[pre]
data temp;
input ID $ Type $ Txt & $20.;
cards;
1 Class ABC is my class
2 cClass aABC is my class
2 tTeacher dDEF is my teacher
;
run;
data temp;
set temp;
_txt=txt;
txt=type;
output;
txt=_txt;
output;
drop _txt type;
run;
[/pre]

Ksharp
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thnaks Ksharp. Thanks a lot!

This was exactly what I needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation