BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dsbihill
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the following section of a proc sql.  The bold section below i am having trouble making it work.  I created a variable cmryear that contains a 4 digit year.  Depending on the date of the observation i may want to subtract one from the year for my cmrperiod variable.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how i can do this.  I have tried put and input and just seem get errors when i do.

I basicly want to subtract 1 from &cmryear variable for observations falling into the date range.  The problem is that It doesnt like the &cmr year because it is a character value so it has to be converted..

Thank you all for your time.

%let cmr_period = "CN/KTZ 2016 CMR"

%let cmryear= %sysfunc(compress(&cmr_period ,"/",A));

%put output of cmryear from log is  2016

proc sql,

---other stuff

Case

when "&date_range_min"d <= datepart(transaction_date) <= "&date_range_max"d then catx(" ",mat.customer, "&cmryear", "CMR")

when intnx("year","&date_range_min"d,-1,"sameday") <= datepart(transaction_date) < "&date_range_Min"d then catx(" ", &cmryear-1, "CMR")

end as CMRPeriod,

---other stuff

quit;

log error  - ERROR: Expression using subtraction :smileyminus: requires numeric types.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

wrap it in %eval,

%eval( &cmryear-1)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yep, without seeing the errors am guessing, but copying and pasting the %let into the statement yields this:

then catx(" ",mat.customer, input(put(%sysfunc(compress(&cmr_period ,"/",A)),4.)-1,$4.), "CMR")

Which doesn't look right - e.g. what is the &cmr_period. Also, you have your inputs and put's mized up, input reads char into num, put outputs num as char.

Might I suggest you do it bit by bit. e.g:

proc sql;

create table want as

select     input(strip(tranwrd(CMR_PERIOD,"/","")),best.) as MY_YEAR,

case     when ... then CALCULATED MY_YEAR

else CALCULATED MY_YEAR - 1 end as ALTERED_YEAR,

catx(" ",MAT.CUSTOMER,strip(put(ALTERED_YEAR,best.)),"CMR") as FINAL_RESULT

dsbihill
Obsidian | Level 7

Updated my original question hopefully to clarify and answer the questions from both responses

Reeza
Super User

wrap it in %eval,

%eval( &cmryear-1)

dsbihill
Obsidian | Level 7

Works perfectly thank you

Case
   when "&date_range_min"d <= datepart(transaction_date) <= "&date_range_max"d
             then catx(" ",mat.customer, "&cmryear", "CMR")
   when intnx("year","&date_range_min"d,-1,"sameday") <= datepart(transaction_date) < "&date_range_Min"d
             then catx(" ",mat.customer, %eval(&cmryear-1), "CMR")
   end as CMRPeriod,
ballardw
Super User

You might provide some examples of whay your &cmryear variable actually looks like such as with %put.

Depeding on how/when you create it you might be better off creating a second variable: %let cmryearminus= %eval(&cmryear-1);

And since many people asking about stuff in SQL sometimes take a long time to reveal they are attempting operations in another DBMS, is this actual SAS dataset you are using or is this passthrough or from another DBMS?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does the value of CMRYEAR actually look like YYYY?

If so then there you do not need to treat it as a character string in the SQL code.  You can pass an expression to the CATX() function.

case

when "&date_range_min"d <= datepart(transaction_date) <= "&date_range_max"d

then catx(" ",mat.customer, &cmryear , "CMR")

when intnx("year","&date_range_min"d,-1,"sameday") <= datepart(transaction_date) < "&date_range_Min"d

then catx(" ",mat.customer, &cmryear - 1 , "CMR")

else ' '

end as CMRPeriod

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation