BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ujjawal
Quartz | Level 8

I am labeling variables with LABEL statement. It labels correctly but it is not shown in the data set.

What i mean - The variable label should be dispayed instead of variable name when i open data set.

Can both be displayed when someone point cursor on the variable? I am using SAS EG5.1.

5 REPLIES 5
Kanna
Calcite | Level 5

In EG and Base SAS you can only have either the column name or the label displayed, you cannot have both. To see both, right-click on the table in the library, Properties, Columns. There you scroll right, and the labels would be shown on each column.

To change the settings to show labels instead of column names do this: Find Tools on the menu bar, then Options, look at the drop down screen.

Locate on the left Data,  Data General. Toward the middle,  Naming Options: check the box for  "Use labels for column names"

This is in SAS EG 6.1. Look for similar settings in 5.1, it should not be very different.

Ujjawal
Quartz | Level 8

Is it possible via code to show labels instead of column names? Not all variables have variable label. Only selected variables have variable labels. I want to display variable label of these selected variables.

Kanna
Calcite | Level 5

You may want to play with the options listed here,

How to View DICTIONARY Tables

also ask SAS Tech support for help.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/65287/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p00cato8pe46ein1bjci...

kamna
Calcite | Level 5

what would be the settings for sas version 9?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

In EG, from the Tools menu, select options, then Data, then tick the box for "Use labels for column names". If you hover over the column heading it will tell you what the variable name is. If the variable does not have a label the variable name is shown instead.

There is no way to switch this on in code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation