BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_SAS_
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

Is it possible while reading in some CSVs in a data step with infile, to perform also some kind of lookup mapping against some other tables which were already previously created to calculate some aditional columns on the fly?

For example, let's assume I read in a CSV which contains two columns, entity and currency. I need to calculate a 3rd column, reporting_currency which is obtained by looking up the entity-currency tuple in another table I already have imported.

Thank you for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

You can use PROC FORMAT to create a format from the lookup table.

Then you can add lines like:

new_var = put(old_var, format_name.);

where format_name is the name you gave in 1st step.

Pay attention to the dot at end of format name.

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Have a look at this paper Table Lookup Techniques : From the Basics to the Innovative by Art Carpenter it gives a good overview of different techniques. The type of method to choose is also dependant on the amount of data. Have a look at the first example using a hash object.

Bruno

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation