BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aditi24
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have imported data from excel to a sas-data set. The dataset after exporting looks like this.

Name| ID | Salary | Designation

------------------------------------------------

ABC  | 11 | 2000$ | Manager

The table will only have 1 column .

Now I want to validate the column label if an if condition and store the value of column in a macro variable:-

pseudo code:-

if macro_label="Name"
then do;
call symput(symget('myMVar'),Name);
end;

Please suggest a way to validate the column labels of a sas dataset.

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You cannot export data from Excel to a SAS dataset; Excel cannot write SAS datasets.

So please describe exactly what you have done to get the data into SAS (which file format was written from Excel, and which step was used in SAS for import)

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

If you have have imported the Excel file into SAS then the metadata will be present in the metadata tables.  For instance, if I have a dataset ABC in WORK, then:

data _null_;
  set sashelp.vcolumns (where=(libname="WORK" and memname="ABC" and name="COL1"));
  call symputx('myVar',name);
run;

Would work.  However, why put a column label in a macro variable.  It is already present in the metadata tables, so when you want to use it, pull the information from there.  Otherwise you may hit several road blocks (invalida characters, line lengths for multiples, multiple values etc.).  If you can elaborate on what you are doing we can look.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Hello, @Aditi24, I'm really having trouble understanding your problem. Could you give specific examples of what macro variables you want to create from this input data, and what values they should have?

Hello, @RW9, you ask "However, why put a column label in a macro variable." Because that's one legitimate use of macro variables, to contain and make use of text that might vary from one execution of the program to another.

--
Paige Miller
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please do stop spamming my posts where I ask simple questions.  The reason I asked the question is clearly stated in the text:

"However, why put a column label in a macro variable.  It is already present in the metadata tables, so when you want to use it, pull the information from there."

Of which you have only quoted part.  In most scenarios it would be quicker and simpler to refer to an existing dataset which contains the required information than to create a whole set of coding to emulate that which is already freely available.  If there are specific set of circumstances where this is needed, then other points have to be raised about sepcial characters when de-referencing etc.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Ok, RW9, I'll quote the whole thing next time. I still state that putting text into a macro variable for use in a program is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation