BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I use SAS on UNIX.  I have a need to read a VSAM file from an IBM Mainframe.  Any suggestions on where to start?  The VSAM infile options seem to be written in the case when the vsam file is on the same server.

3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Wow, that is a blast from the past. I'd recommend working with Tech Support on this: SAS(R) 9.3 VSAM Processing for z/OS I do know that it is possible to read VSAM datasets using SAS. The mechanism that you use might be different depending on whether you have SAS on the mainframe or not or how you get to the mainframe to point to the file.

As I remember my VSAM days, sometimes mainframe shops make "sequential" versions of VSAM datasets for reporting purposes with other languages -- at least they did on my old system when we used EZTREVE and SAS for adhoc reporting.

But, ultimately, I'd recommend working with Tech Support on this.

cynthia

DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

That was IT's suggested approach...use EZTrieve to create a snap text extract and download it....sorta old school, isn't it.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Well, VSAM is sort of old school. Not as old as ISAM and you can read VSAM with SAS, but apparently your mainframe folks never had the need to create a sequential version of the file. Oh, ick, I wouldn't use EZTREVE (or EXTrieve) to make the extract. I think there are actually IBM utilities that will make the extract file for you. Or I wrote a COBOL program once to do it. (Not fun)

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation