BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FedeTS89
Fluorite | Level 6

HI everyone,

I just downloaded and installed SAS University edition, I have to use it for an analysis for one of my university's course but I am having some problems.

I have 2 files to analize and they are both sas7bdat files.

When I run SAS via browser and try to open them the programme starts loading and freezes, to be more precise it doesn't freeze, the loading process just never ends and i have to close the virtual machine and restart everything in order to do anything.

I have tried both Oracle VM virtual box and VMware, and tried the installation on 2 different computers. The point is that some other students in my class tried to open the files with their SAS university ed. and they can easily open them (at first I thought the files were too big or something). I looked with them for a solution but we just can't see any difference between their installation and mine.

I correctly created the folder and it is shown in the top left part of the SAS window, also the files in the folder are visible but if I double click on one of them it happens what I described above. I also tried to run the virtual machines softwares as administrator. And I tried with Chrome, Firefox and IE.

I even try some manual coding to open them, just some basics from what I could read online, I tried the following:

libname dati '/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94/';

data polizze;

set dati.polizze;

run; 

and the software stays like this:

esecuzione freeze.jpg

I tried to leave it for like 30 minutes.. just doesn't load.

or

data tabella2;

set polizze;

run; 

and I get:

error tabella2.jpg

I tried to put the files both in sauser.v94 and in myfolders but nothing changed.

It's really strange that this happens also on both my computers, and they have very different specifics.

I really don't know what to do more, I could really need some help 😞

Many Thanks, 

Federico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FedeTS89
Fluorite | Level 6

I unistalled the virtual box software, deleted all the files and reinstalled everything. 

Now all seems to be ok, I can open the files with no problems and work with them, not sure what I did different from the previous 2 installations (looked exactly the same process to me) but the problem seems to be solved.

The files are still stored in sasuser.v94 folder but I can work with them properly.

Even though I am not sure how this was fixed I have to say that the quality of the support in this forum is excellent. Thanks Reeza and Jan for your replies.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You may want to make sure your datasets are not damaged. were they copied over using something like FTP?

Do the following:

proc contents data=dati.polizze;
run;

and let us know what shows up.

Regards,

- Jan.

FedeTS89
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply, 

The file was zipped together with the material for the exam and sent via email, but the sas7bdat files after trying to work with them I also sent them via facebook chat or skype to 2 other people and they can work with that file.

Anyway, I tried your code and it just doesn't load, stays in the loading window without doing anything:

proc error.png

KR

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @FedeTS89,

Thanks for clearing that up. We must assume (careful here) that the datasets are fine. Next thing to look is the server. I am not afmiliar with the SAS Univserity edition per se, but the general SAS troubleshooting adagium is "Thou shalt read logfiles".

Sorry for not being more of a help here.

Regards,

- Jan.

Reeza
Super User

What happens if you run the following:

proc means data=sashelp.class;
Run;

Proc export data=sashelp.class outfile='/folders/myfolders/test.csv' DBMS = CSV replace; run;

What is your OS?

Can you attach a copy of your dataset?

EDIT: 

You should be placing your dataset in the myfolders folder you created, not the sasuser.v94 folder so your code should look like the sample below. Your second set of code is incorrect, and it looks like SAS ran successfully there so I assume that it is running fine.

libname dati '/folders/myfolders/';

data polizze;
set dati.polizze;
run; 

FedeTS89
Fluorite | Level 6

I unistalled the virtual box software, deleted all the files and reinstalled everything. 

Now all seems to be ok, I can open the files with no problems and work with them, not sure what I did different from the previous 2 installations (looked exactly the same process to me) but the problem seems to be solved.

The files are still stored in sasuser.v94 folder but I can work with them properly.

Even though I am not sure how this was fixed I have to say that the quality of the support in this forum is excellent. Thanks Reeza and Jan for your replies.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation