BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mahesh146
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys,

I am looking into use of PROC Template with Define Tagset  option for exporting SAS datasets into XML files. The online materials are quite explanatory in terms the commands to be used and syntax to be followed for the same. 

However, I am unable to get below things.

1. How would the programmer decide the sequence of events to be created?

2. Is events name just like variable name where user can use any name as per convenience? If not, is there any online resource where I can find the event names and their use?

3. How events gets executed and mapped to the dataset to print values in XML?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Mahesh

4 REPLIES 4
mahesh146
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the link. I had already explored that one. 🙂

The problem is that we need XML file in specific format with more than 4 level of hierarchies which can be achieved through custom tagset. So looking for the answers on PROC Template.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Perhaps an xmlmap could work then?

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/1318-2017.pdf

I don't actually know of any resource to show how to create tagsets for proc template, I did look myself sometime back and couldn't find anything.  You can glean things from looking at what has been written already, i.e. tagsets.excelxp and rtf and such like.  That gives a good view on it.  really could use a good paper on the subject though I agree.

ballardw
Super User

@mahesh146 wrote:

Thanks for the link. I had already explored that one. 🙂

The problem is that we need XML file in specific format with more than 4 level of hierarchies which can be achieved through custom tagset. So looking for the answers on PROC Template.

Admittedly the tagsets.excelp has bunch of Microsoft centric verbiage but find the excelxp.tpl file (basically the template code) and that may give some starting point.

It sure seems that every "wonderful" XML use seems to come with a "and here's where to buy the tool to make/use the wonderful format" pitch. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation