BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi !

I have a table which has one column , say order1. I want to use the value in order1 to actually order my sas dataset. Say if order1 = id, then i want to order my sas datset by id. How can we acheive this?

Thanks!!
7 REPLIES 7
Ksharp
Super User
Hi.
I think you maybe can use proc compare or data step's merge statement to get it.
And this maybe to code a macro.

Ksharp
deleted_user
Not applicable
This is my code where I first pull the data usin PROC SQL.
select c.* ......, order1, order2
from table1 a
join table 2 b
on a.id=b.id
join table3 c
on b.cd= c.cd

PROC SORT DATA=s_tmp OUT= s_sort nodupkey;
BY id , cd ;
RUN ;
And my data looks like this:
ID Code seq_no1 seq_no2 Order1 Order2
1 A seq_no1 seq_no2
1 A seq_no1 seq_no2
1 B
deleted_user
Not applicable
This is my code where I first pull the data usin PROC SQL.
select c.* ......, order1, order2
from table1 a
join table 2 b
on a.id=b.id
join table3 c
on b.cd= c.cd

PROC SORT DATA=s_tmp OUT= s_sort nodupkey;
BY id , cd ;
RUN ;
And my data looks like this:
ID Code seq_no1 seq_no2 Order1 Order2
1 A 1 1 seq_no1 seq_no2
1 A 2 2 seq_no1 seq_no2
1 B 2 2 seq_no2 seq_no1
1 B 1 1 seq_no2 seq_no1

So now within an ID , I have different codes, so I want to first order by Code(eg A,B) and then Order by the values in column Order1 and Order2.
So Order1 has Seq_no1 for Code A, so within Code A , I would like to order by Seq_no1 and then by Seq_no2. However within code B, first I need ot order by Seq_no2 and then by seq_no1.

So a simple 'order by Order1' will not work here. Can u help me with using proc compare of a merge here?
Ksharp
Super User
Hi.
It spend some time to understand your post.
I am also not quit clarify.

If you want different order of ORDER1 and ORDER2 for different Code.

You can split your data into two datasets (each only contains A or B),then to order them
separately. at the end to concatenate these two datasets vertically.

Ksharp
deleted_user
Not applicable
My bad . Let me explain again.Changed the example to make it less confusing.
ID Code seq_no1 Order1 Order2 First Name LAst Name
1 A 1 seq_no1
1 A 2 seq_no1
1 B 2 FirstName Last name John Well
1 B 1 First NAme Last name Aaron Hancock

Since Order1=Seq_no1, all the observations with Code=A, should be ordered by seq_no_1.So this input data is alreayd sorted. Now since, Order1= First name , and Order2 = Last name, All the observations under Code=B should be first sorted on First names and then on last names. So irrespective of seq_no , all obs under cod=b should be sorted by NAmes.

If I use code as below it will not work .
Sel * from table...
order by Order1

I am trying to use a dynamic Order by clause But I am getting an error. Other than changing the data type, is there a way around this?
order by c.id, a.code,
case when &ord1_by = 'SEQ_NO' then SEQ_NO
when &ord1_by = 'PD' then PD
end ;
ERROR: Expression using equals (=) has components that are of different data types.
ERROR: Expression using equals (=) has components that are of different data types.
ERROR: Result of WHEN clause 2 is not the same data type as the preceding results.

Thanks! Message was edited by: sasnewbee
Ksharp
Super User
Hi.
You can make a new variable for order.
Such as :
if seq_no1 =seq_no1 then order=seq_no1;
else if seq_no2=seq_no2 then order=seq_no2

Ksharp
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Without seeing more of your data, I am wondering whether you are misunderstanding the data fields. For example, it seems sort of odd to me that seq_no1 for Firstname=Aaron is 1 and seq_no1 for Firstname=John is 2. That makes me wonder whether all you have to do is:
[pre]
proc sort data=mydata out=sortdata;
by code seq_no1;
run;

OR

proc sort data=mydata out=sortdata;
by id code seq_no1;
run;
[/pre]

Perhaps the original data is telling you the order that the data was INTENDED to be in and if you sort by CODE and SEQ_NO1 or ID, CODE and SEQ_NO1, you will get the intended order. For the small data sample that you've posted, if you merely sorted by CODE and SEQ_NO1, your "B" codes would sort correctly.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation