BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sfmeier
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi experts,

I am filtering on some character variables

/* Import der Matchingdaten zw. KontoID/System und fdb-Nummer */

data &workbib..i_gls_fdb2;

set kris_lls.D487_&stichmonat._GLS_VB (Keep =   syst_source iden_source_system fdb_nr ref_fdb_nr ref_fdb_rolle gls_lfs_vb_nr

referenz_nr ogid_risk_point isin LFS_nr);

if (not fdb_nr = . or not ref_fdb_nr = 0) and ( not iden_source_system = "" or not gls_lfs_vb_nr = "");

run;

However I am getting the following Notes (the IF-line is NR. 20):

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).

20:55   20:85  

NOTE: Invalid numeric data, iden_source_system='DE000LB0AEB3_T' , at line 20 column 55.

NOTE: Invalid numeric data, gls_lfs_vb_nr='DE000LB0AEB3' , at line 20 column 85.

syst_source=ARENA_P iden_source_system=DE000LB0AEB3_T ogid_risk_point=24542733 fdb_nr=. lfs_nr=. ref_fdb_rolle=. ref_fdb_nr=.

gls_lfs_vb_nr=DE000LB0AEB3 isin=  referenz_nr=0 lfs=FEHLT _ERROR_=1 _N_=2

So why does SAS convert my Character values to numeric values? Is it because the first line in the table contains (coincidentally) just numbers? How can I prevent that from happening?

Thx a lot,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Putting "not" in front of a logical comparison can be very tricky and may not be interpreted the way you suspect.  I would recommend changing along these lines:

if (fdb_nr ne . or ref_fdb_nr ne 0) and (iden_source_system ne " " or gls_lfs_vb_nr ne " ");

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

Is the dataset being set a sas dataset or is it using a connection to an external data source? IE is kris_lls a folder or connection?

EJ

sfmeier
Obsidian | Level 7

It is a library / folder.

SM

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

What does the proc contents of your dataset report?

Florent
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

What if you replace your IF statement by the following ?

if (not missing(fdb_nr) or ref_fdb_nr ne 0) and (not missing(iden_source_system) or not missing(gls_lfs_vb_nr));

Kind regards,

Florent

Astounding
PROC Star

Putting "not" in front of a logical comparison can be very tricky and may not be interpreted the way you suspect.  I would recommend changing along these lines:

if (fdb_nr ne . or ref_fdb_nr ne 0) and (iden_source_system ne " " or gls_lfs_vb_nr ne " ");

Florent
Quartz | Level 8

Indeed, and I strongly encourage the use of the missing function since it allows not having to care for datatype Smiley Wink

Brit
Calcite | Level 5

Also the missing function will work as expected on special missing values, such as .D, .N, etc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation