BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

I have been getting the following error: 

ERROR: Invalid physical name for library SASUSER.
NOTE: Unable to initialize the options subsystem.
ERROR: (SASXKINI): PHASE 3 KERNEL INITIALIZATION FAILED.
ERROR: Unable to initialize the SAS kernel.

It appears when I attempt to open SAS. I cannot open up anything in SAS as this message appears before anything opens. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The SASUSER option in your config file may be pointing to an invalid path.  If this is something that used to work, but now doesn't, you will need to think about what's changed.

Usually in a local SAS install, the SASUSER location is set to a folder in your personal Documents area.  If you've recently updated your OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (for example), the way that Documents folder is found could be different.  

Regardless, the change you need to make is in your sasv9.cfg file, found in SASHOME/SASFoundation/9.4/nls/en (usually, for English).  See this SAS Note for more guidance.

• Usage Note 12457: Check SASUSER library when "Error: Invalid physical name for library SASUSER" message is displayed starting SAS® in a Windows operating environment
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The SASUSER option in your config file may be pointing to an invalid path.  If this is something that used to work, but now doesn't, you will need to think about what's changed.

Usually in a local SAS install, the SASUSER location is set to a folder in your personal Documents area.  If you've recently updated your OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (for example), the way that Documents folder is found could be different.  

Regardless, the change you need to make is in your sasv9.cfg file, found in SASHOME/SASFoundation/9.4/nls/en (usually, for English).  See this SAS Note for more guidance.

• Usage Note 12457: Check SASUSER library when "Error: Invalid physical name for library SASUSER" message is displayed starting SAS® in a Windows operating environment
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Tahahessane
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello community, 

I'm having problems to install SAS on my computer, 

I passed all the installations steps, however i'm always getting this ERROR

I went on SAS website and tried the different solutions : (here are the options that I did) 

1- find the SASv9.cfg and the path the SASUSER biblo, but i can't find this library's file because i can't find the "MY SAS Files" in document section that should be on my computer,

2- I read the installation notice where they say to create a "My SAS files" and change the path in the SASv9.cfg, however i'm still getting the same error message and can't launch SAS

3- I deleted avast antivirus as I red that it might block SAS from running, and re-installed SAS but still nothing 

I have a windows 10 Lenovo computer, it has 64bit processor and 4gb RAM

Do you have any idea of what can I do ? 

thank you in advance 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

By default, your sasv9.cfg file should be in:

C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4

But that file will be a one-line file that points to another locale-specific config, usually something like:

C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg

SASUSER is defined (by default) as:

-SASUSER "?FOLDERID_Documents\My SAS Files\9.4"

Which should resolve to this same Windows path -- which you can paste into Windows explorer to verify that it exists:

"%userprofile%\Documents\My SAS Files\9.4"

Chris

Tahahessane
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you for your answer @ChrisHemedinger

I can find the sasv9.cfg file in : C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en

but I cannot find the My SAS File, its like it has not been created 

when I type : %userprofile%\Documents\My SAS Files\9.4

it shows an error message saying that it cannot find any file with this name, and that is the problem i have, 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Try this.  Navigate to "%userprofile%\Documents".  Then create a new folder named "My SAS Files", and then a subfolder underneath that for "9.4".  See if that fixes things.

Tahahessane
Fluorite | Level 6

I just did, and I still have the same error message, 

its says the library doesn't exist, is it possible that it didn't install ? 

i really don't know what to do...

MarcoGuimaraes
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi, @Tahahessane... Do you have more than one language installed? I followed the steps from @ChrisHemedinger and it worked properly. The only additional issue happened because We need to repeat these steps in each one of our language folders...If you fix only the info inside the cfg file in "en" folder and, after this, try to open SAS in another language, the error message persists. While you don´t repeat the steps for the other language(s) (eg: pt, pb, u8, etc), the problem keep blocking your SAS from launching properlly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation