BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hhchenfx
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

I know it is not new but I am so curious how SAS handle the following problem

I try different way and I find that it work when I create new variable to replace the old one.

Can anyone help me to explain why some methods (documented below works) while some don't?

Is there any way where I can simply tell SAS to change the format?

Thank you.

HC

data have;
input total $7.;
datalines;
;run;

data want; set have;
*no work;
total=total+0;	
total=input(total,best12.);
total=input(total,COMMA8.2);

*works;
total_num1=total+0;
total_num2=input(total,best12.);
total_num3=input(total,8.2);
total_num4=input(total,COMMA12.);
total_num5=input(total,COMMA8.2);

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

A SAS variable type cannot change, ie character to numeric with the same name is not possible.

You can create a new variable with a numeric format, ergo the last examples work. You can mimic what you want by renaming the variable on your SET statement or providing a new name.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

What is your HAVE data set?

Reeza
Super User

A SAS variable type cannot change, ie character to numeric with the same name is not possible.

You can create a new variable with a numeric format, ergo the last examples work. You can mimic what you want by renaming the variable on your SET statement or providing a new name.

hhchenfx
Barite | Level 11

oh,

here it is.

HC

data have;
input total $7.;
datalines;
;run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation