BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I'm attempting to  transform my if logic into something more concise. The sample I provide is much smaller than the real data:

data have;
  infile datalines;
  input list $ 1-3 id $ 5-7 price $ 9-10;
  datalines;
BAC BB8 4a
BAC 22C  
BAC DDD 5b
CBA     6c
CBA 22A 4b
CBA 10B 4b
CBA 11A 5f
DAC 2CC  
DAC 11C 2e
DAC     3e
;
run;

data want;
  set have;
  if list='BAC' and id='BB8' and price='4a' then code='BBB';
  if list='BAC' and id='22C' and price=' ' then code='CCC';
  if list='BAC' and id='DDD' and price='5b' then code='DDD';
  if list='CBA' and id=' ' and price='6c' then code='FFF';
  if list='CBA' and id='22A' and price='4b' then code='FFF';
  if list='CBA' and id='10B' and price='4b' then code='GGG';
  if list='CBA' and id='11A' and price='5f' then code='HHH';
  if list='DAC' and id='2CC' and price=' ' then code='III';
  if list='DAC' and id='11C' and price='2e' then code='BBB';
  if list='DAC' and id=' ' and price='3e' then code='BBB';
run;

So I use those if statements to create a new field. But I don't want to have tons of if statements for every variation - I'd rather automate it somehow. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

You could make a dataset RECODES with all the combinatinos of list/id/price and resulting code.  Then use it as a hash lookup table in a subsequent data set, as in:

data recodes;
  input (list id price code) ($char4.);
datalines;
BAC BB8 4a  BBB 
BAC 22C     CCC 
BAC DDD 5b  DDD 
CBA     6c  FFF 
CBA 22A 4b  FFF 
CBA 10B 4b  GGG 
CBA 11A 5f  HHH 
DAC 2CC     III 
DAC 11C 2e  BBB 
DAC     3e  BBB 
run;

data want (drop=rc);
  set have;
  if _n_=1 then do;
    if 0 then set recodes;
    declare hash h (dataset:'recodes');
      h.definekey('list','id','price');
      h.definedata('code');
      h.definedone();
end; /* Added after @LaurieF's note */ rc=h.find(); if rc^=0 then code=' '; run;

The variable RC is set to zero with a successful lookup.  If it's not a zero then that combinatino of list/id/price was not in the recodes dataset, so code should be set to missing.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Perhaps you are looking for the SELECT-WHEN statement. An explanation and examples are available in the article "The SELECT statement in the SAS DATA step."

Reeza
Super User

That depends. Do you have the logic for your mappings somewhere? It has to come from somewhere. 

Creating a table you can join to as a lookup. 

One refactoring that you should look into, is combining all conditions into one where the outcome is the same. 

ie all conditions that map to BBB should have a single IF/THEN condition. In your example you have three different IF statements for this single value. 

Reeza
Super User

That depends. Do you have the logic for your mappings somewhere? It has to come from somewhere. 

Creating a table you can join to as a lookup. 

One refactoring that you should look into, is combining all conditions into one where the outcome is the same. 

ie all conditions that map to BBB should have a single IF/THEN condition. In your example you have three different IF statements for this single value. 

JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes, I do have a mapping document with all the codes that correspond with each line of logic.

JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

@Reeza How would I do a join on a table for a lookup? - I have a table with all of the values and corresponding codes in it.

mkeintz
PROC Star

You could make a dataset RECODES with all the combinatinos of list/id/price and resulting code.  Then use it as a hash lookup table in a subsequent data set, as in:

data recodes;
  input (list id price code) ($char4.);
datalines;
BAC BB8 4a  BBB 
BAC 22C     CCC 
BAC DDD 5b  DDD 
CBA     6c  FFF 
CBA 22A 4b  FFF 
CBA 10B 4b  GGG 
CBA 11A 5f  HHH 
DAC 2CC     III 
DAC 11C 2e  BBB 
DAC     3e  BBB 
run;

data want (drop=rc);
  set have;
  if _n_=1 then do;
    if 0 then set recodes;
    declare hash h (dataset:'recodes');
      h.definekey('list','id','price');
      h.definedata('code');
      h.definedone();
end; /* Added after @LaurieF's note */ rc=h.find(); if rc^=0 then code=' '; run;

The variable RC is set to zero with a successful lookup.  If it's not a zero then that combinatino of list/id/price was not in the recodes dataset, so code should be set to missing.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

And, in addition to the elegant HASH approach, a slightly different approach with a user-defined format for a lookup list is how I was taught to do it in the golden olden days before HASH. (If we already had a table with the values we needed for the format, then we used the CNTLIN technique with PROC FORMAT to make the list.)

cynthia

format_for_lookup_list.png

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Or old-fashioned and simpler to code and understand, but probably much slower than a hash table:

data HAVE(drop=CODE)
     CODE(index=(A=(LIST ID PRICE )));
  input LIST $ 1-3 ID $ 5-7 PRICE $ 9-10 CODE $ 12-14;
  cards;
BAC BB8 4a BBB 
BAC 22C    CCC 
BAC DDD 5b DDD 
CBA     6c FFF 
CBA 22A 4b FFF 
CBA 10B 4b GGG 
CBA 11A 5f HHH 
DAC 2CC    III 
DAC 11C 2e BBB 
DAC     3e BBB 
run;

data WANT ;
  set HAVE;
  set CODE key=A;
  if _IORC_ = %sysrc(_dsenom) then _ERROR_=0;
run;

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

@mkeintz …with an 'end;' statement to terminate the 'if _n_ = 1 then do;', of course!

mkeintz
PROC Star
Thx. Done.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 7 in conversation