BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yuna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a new variable but am running into a problem where the new variable returns "." for all observations, even though I can see from my data that these should not be missing.  I am using SAS9.   Please see my code below to illustrate the problem I am having:

data mergedtest;
    set work.merged_all;

if completed="Y" then test1=1;
    if experience= "1 to 5 years" then test2=1;
    if stream= "General Labour" then test3=1;

run;

The "completed", "experience", and "stream" variables are all string variables.  SAS does not tell me that there are any errors when I run this data step.  However, when I run the tables command on test1, test2, and test3 (to check to see if variables were created properly), test1 and test2 are fine, but test3 returns all missing values (even though i can see from the raw data that several observations have a value of "General Labour" for the "stream" variable).

Has anyone had this issue before?  Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Take care,

Yuna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

So if DEBUG2 is Y, it suggests there is something else in the data besides blanks. 

The most common suspects:  a carriage return, or hex null characters instead of blanks. 

The way to find this out is to print out the values in hex form.  For example, if STREAM is defined as $ 25, try:

hex_format = put(stream, $hex50.);

Then run the PROC FREQ on HEX_FORMAT.

If you want a quick fix for the program without addressing stray characters in the data, you can always use:

if stream =: 'General Labour' then test3 = 1;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Yuna1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a new variable but am running into a problem where the new variable returns "." for all observations, even though I can see from my data that these should not be missing.  I am using SAS9.   Please see my code below to illustrate the problem I am having:

data mergedtest;
    set work.merged_all;

if experience= "1 to 5 years" then test2=1;
    if stream= "General Labour" then test3=1;

run;

The "completed", "experience", and "stream" variables are all string variables.  SAS does not tell me that there are any errors when I run this data step.  However, when I run the tables command on test1, test2, and test3 (to check to see if variables were created properly), test1 and test2 are fine, but test3 returns all missing values (even though i can see from the raw data that several observations have a value of "General Labour" for the "stream" variable).

When stream is not "General Labour", test3 gets assign a missing value. Similarly, if completed is not "Y", test1 gets assigned missing. And I'm sure you can see the pattern and so test2 also gets assigned missing.

--
Paige Miller
Yuna1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi PaigeMiller,

Thank you for your response! I see what you're saying for sure; that makes complete sense.

I ran a table command on the "Stream" variable to see how many "General Labour" responses I should expect  and I was hoping that test3 would equal 1 for 11,908 observations (and the rest would be missing).  So I'm at a loss as to what might be going on here.

Thanks again - any additional thoughts you  may have are, of course, very welcome!

Yuna

Astounding
PROC Star

It's time to dig into the values of STREAM, to see what is really contained there.  For example:

data want;

set have;

if stream ne 'General Labour' then do;

if left(stream) = 'General Labour' then debug1='Y';

if stream =: 'General Labour' then debug2='Y';

end;

run;

DEBUG1:  find out whether the values of STREAM contain leading blanks

DEBUG2:  find out whether some stray character such as a carriage return appears after the characters "General Labour"

Anything else you could imagine can be tested.  But SAS is telling you that the actual value is actually a little bit different than "General Labour"

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Some more options to test beyond given by @Astounding:

- can it be that "General Labour" has two spaces between the words or some unvisible characters at end? 
   Check by

-  if compbl(stream) = 'General Labour' then debug3='Y';

-  if length(strip(stream)) ne length('General Labour') then debug4='Y';

Yuna1
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your help! These are handy troubleshooting tips to know about.
Yuna1
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you very much!

I tried your suggested code and got the following result:
For the General Labour values, debug1 returns a blank (i.e. not equal to Y) and debug2=Y. Does this suggest I have a stray character after "General Labour"?

Thank you again!
Astounding
PROC Star

So if DEBUG2 is Y, it suggests there is something else in the data besides blanks. 

The most common suspects:  a carriage return, or hex null characters instead of blanks. 

The way to find this out is to print out the values in hex form.  For example, if STREAM is defined as $ 25, try:

hex_format = put(stream, $hex50.);

Then run the PROC FREQ on HEX_FORMAT.

If you want a quick fix for the program without addressing stray characters in the data, you can always use:

if stream =: 'General Labour' then test3 = 1;

Yuna1
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much! This was really helpful. I realized there are some hidden carriage returns that were causing problems. I used the compress command (newvar=compress(stream,'0D0A'x)) to get rid of them and it seems to be working. Thank you for helping me to trouble shoot and offering your advice!
ballardw
Super User

Perhaps instead of

You actually want

Test1 = (completed="Y");

This will assign a value of 1 ("true", "yes" similar boolean interpretations apply) when completed equals 'Y' and 0 when completed is not equal to 'Y'.

And similar for you other test variables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation