BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,
We are using SAS V8.2 in our Mainframe work shop.

My requirement is to calculate count of unique variables. Here is the code I have used.

DATA INPUT1;
INFILE INPUT1;
INPUT MNAME $ 1-25;
RUN;

DATA NEWFI;
SET INPUT1;
BY MNAME;
IF FIRST.MNAME THEN SUM=0;
SUM + 1;
IF LAST.MNAME THEN OUTPUT;

RUN;

PROC SORT DATA=NEWFI;
BY DESCENDING SUM;

PROC PRINT;

I have input data in the format

----+----1----+----2----+
(spaces)
(spaces)
(spaces)
. (one dot)

I am expecting the output as

MNAME SUM
---------------------------------------
(SPACES) 3
. 1

But I am receiving the output as

MNAME SUM
---------------------------------------
(SPACES) 4

Kindly correct the above code to get the expected result.

Thanks,
kris Corrected the SAS output display.

Message was edited by: kris_madras
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Review the SASLOG output closely - you will see a SAS diagnostic message which you may have overlooked, shown below:

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

Also, you most likely do not have a fixed-length (RECFM=F) record/file layout providing data (again info revealed in the INFILE diagnostic of your SAS log) in columns 1 through 25 on each record, so SAS is assigning a missing value.

First you must specify TRUNCOVER or MISSOVER, possibly -- review the INFILE statement coding. And second you want to review the INPUT statement processing to handle the shorter record length, rather than using the INPUT statement you have coded. I don't believe that this behavior is unique to the mainframe either - it is related to the input file layout and record format for your data.

For diagnostic information (self-debugging), consider adding either a :

LIST;

...or.... (tip: get to SAS 9 as soon as possble so you can use PUTLOG -- and so you can be on a supported SAS version):

FILE LOG;
PUT _ALL_;

Also, consider adding a sort step for your input file before you use BY processing. And I would encourage you to code a LENGTH statement to declare MNAME length explicitly.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Scott.. will check one by one as you suggested and update in this thread...
Florent
Quartz | Level 8
Hello Kris,

Here is a small example (based on the code you pasted) that you could easily adapt upon your needs 🙂

Regards,
Florent

DATA INPUT1 (drop= i);
format MNAME $25.;

/* Spaces */
do i=1 to 3;
MNAME=' ';
output;
end;

/* Text */
do i=1 to 2;
MNAME='This is some text';
output;
end;

/* Dot */
do i=1 to 6;
MNAME=.;
output;
end;
run;

proc sql;
create table NEWFI as
select MNAME,
count(missing(MNAME)) as SUM
from INPUT1
group by MNAME
order by SUM desc;
quit;
ballardw
Super User
One thought, if the sole purpose of the second data step is to get a count of the unique variables it has one problem in that the data should be sorted by the variable you are trying to count.

Another approach would be to use some thing like:

Proc freq data=INPUT1 order=freq;
table mname /nopercent missing;
run;

Your example actually didn't have spaces but were null strings (empty).
From the online help for input statement, column:

Both leading and trailing blanks within the field are ignored. Therefore, if numeric values contain blanks that represent zeros or if you want to retain leading and trailing blanks in character values, read the value with an informat. See INPUT Statement, Formatted.

Missing Values
Missing data do not require a place-holder. The INPUT statement interprets a blank field as missing and reads other values correctly. If a numeric or character field contains a single period, the variable value is set to missing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation