BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I am trying to join two datasets A and B. While joining the two datasets I am applying the follwoing conditions.

if (A1=B1) AND (A2=B2) AND (ABS(A3-B3) LE 0.05 OR ABS(A4-B4) LE 0.05)

in the above condition, if  either A3,B3,A4,B4 becomes equal to missing values. the result of the condition ((ABS(A3-B3) LE 0.05 OR ABS(A4-B4) LE 0.05)) always becomes . and always less than 0.05

Is there any way to treat missing values as largest possible numbers.

Thanks in advance,

Sheeba Swaminathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Do A3 and B3 or A4 and B4 ever both have missing values? If so you may have to add some additional levels of comparison such as

( ( ABS(A3-B3) LE 0.05) and not ( missing(A3) and Missing(B3) ) )

but more details such as actual values and the desired results may be needed. Some time it may be better to subset some of the data in easier chunks and then recombine.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TMiles
Quartz | Level 8

if you use the sum function instead of the plain math, the missing value is handled differently

for example 

data temp;

a = .;

b= 5;

c=sum(a,-b);  /* c evaluates to -5 */

d = a-b;  /* d evaluates to missing */

run;  

Try:

if (A1=B1) AND (A2=B2) AND (ABS(SUM(A3,-B3)) LE 0.05 OR ABS(SUM(A4,-B4)) LE 0.05)

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Tmiles,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I am worried about the situation where both are missing values. In this case sum function again will evaluate to 0 and again it will become less than 0.05

I modified the condition to the following  to handle the missing values by adding zero to each but again if both A4,B4 turns out to missing . this will result in zero and will become less than 0.05.

if (A1=B1) AND (A2=B2) AND (abs(sum(A3,0) - sum(B3,0)) le 0.05) or  (abs(sum(A4,0) - sum(B4,0)) le .05)

Regards,

sheeba

TMiles
Quartz | Level 8

You could always check for missing values prior to the subsetting IF and set to a default value. THis will only help if only 1 side of the equation is missing.

Is it safe to assume if both sides of the equation are missing you want to handle the condition differently?  If so perhaps If Then Else logic would get you thru it.

something like:

if sum(a3,b3,a4,b4) > 0 then do;

if (A1=B1) AND (A2=B2) AND (ABS(SUM(A3,-B3)) LE 0.05 OR ABS(SUM(A4,-B4)) LE 0.05) then ??;

end;

else do;

???

end;

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Tmiles,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes. I wouldnt want the match if both are missing values. Also I am populating this conditions dynamically .

I will try this out.

Regards,

Sheeba

ballardw
Super User

Do A3 and B3 or A4 and B4 ever both have missing values? If so you may have to add some additional levels of comparison such as

( ( ABS(A3-B3) LE 0.05) and not ( missing(A3) and Missing(B3) ) )

but more details such as actual values and the desired results may be needed. Some time it may be better to subset some of the data in easier chunks and then recombine.

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Ballardw,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

right now the situation of getting missing values in both the columns doesnt exist but i would like to make modifications to the code to handle such situations as well. tnx a lot for the code.

Also i will consider subsetting the data to filter out this conditions.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Sheeba

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are concerned that when you code a condition like

(A <= 0.5)

That missing values of A cause the condition to be true then just change your condition to account for missing values.

(.Z < A <= 0.5)

Or

(A <= 0.5 and not missing(A))

In your specific example you could just remove the ABS() function and code the positive and negative ranges.

-0.5 <= (A3-B3) <= 0.05 
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Tom,

Tnx a lot for the suggestions. This is really helpful.

Regards,

sheeba .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation