BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
buechler66
Barite | Level 11

Hi. I have a dataset with a single record. It contains a count for each column. I need to output another dataset with one record, like this one, but that has Percentage for each day (and NULL) column instead of a count. Can anyone advise me on creating this?

TOTAL	    _08_01_2016	    _07_30_2016	     _07_29_2016     NULL
1917462	    61	            4813	     18477	     118420
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

null is a bad variable name, as it has other context within databases and programming.

You can use the _: wildcard, but you will need to know the amount of variables to do the percentages.

Storing the dates in your variable names isn't a good idea and violates best practices.

Here's a good article on managing data, from an R perspective but it holds.

https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v059i10

I would *seriously* consider tranpsosing your data to a long format, doing your calculations and then retransposing if required.

Otherwise, determine the number of days needed for percent by querying the sashelp.vcolumn table and storing that number in a macro variable. That can be used to index your arrays.

proc sql;
select count(*) into :count_vars
from sashelp.vcolumn where upper(libname)='WORK' and upper(memname) = 'HAVE' and name like '_%';
quit;

array cts(*) _: null;
array pcts(*) pct1-pct&count_vars pct_null;

The rest of the code is the same.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Wide data is always a bit annoying to deal with 

1. Declare two arrays, one for counts and one for percentages

array cts(*) _date_vars list;

array pcts(*) day1-day3;

2. Loop over array to calculate percentages 

do I= 1 to dim(cts);

pcts(I)=cts(I) / total ;

end;

buechler66
Barite | Level 11

Thanks for the suggestion. I should've mentioned the number of days (day1-day3) is not static. It may vary from run to run. Can I handle that in some way?  Also, what about handling the NULL variable?

Reeza
Super User

Do you have a naming convention for the variables?

buechler66
Barite | Level 11

All the variables except NULL are named like a date with an underscore in front. Like _07_29_2016.

buechler66
Barite | Level 11

I create the above dataset using this code:

/* RULE: MATCHING + NO SCORE IMPACTING. Calculate the totals for this rule and then append this record to FinalData&QTR */
proc means data=QueryData&ZIP5 sum;
var total _: null;
output out=cal_sums&ZIP5 (drop=_type_ _freq_) sum=;
run;

As you can see it creates the _date looking variables (_08_01_2016) using the _: wildcard on the VAR statement.  

var total _: null;

Is there any way to create a dataset of Percentages in a similar way?

Reeza
Super User

null is a bad variable name, as it has other context within databases and programming.

You can use the _: wildcard, but you will need to know the amount of variables to do the percentages.

Storing the dates in your variable names isn't a good idea and violates best practices.

Here's a good article on managing data, from an R perspective but it holds.

https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v059i10

I would *seriously* consider tranpsosing your data to a long format, doing your calculations and then retransposing if required.

Otherwise, determine the number of days needed for percent by querying the sashelp.vcolumn table and storing that number in a macro variable. That can be used to index your arrays.

proc sql;
select count(*) into :count_vars
from sashelp.vcolumn where upper(libname)='WORK' and upper(memname) = 'HAVE' and name like '_%';
quit;

array cts(*) _: null;
array pcts(*) pct1-pct&count_vars pct_null;

The rest of the code is the same.

buechler66
Barite | Level 11

I will give this a shot. Thank you.

buechler66
Barite | Level 11
Thanks for your time and assistance!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation