BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tomcmacdonald
Quartz | Level 8

Is it possible to do this without using PROC CIMPORT and PROC CPORT?  I'm getting this error:

ERROR: Unrecognized or unsupported transport file format.

And I'm at a loss as to why. 

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot just copy a SAS binary file (like a dataset or a catalog) from IBM mainframe to some other operating system.

First you need to use PROC CPORT on the mainframe to create transport file.

Copy that file as a BINARY file to the target system using whatever transfer method you have.

You can then use PROC CIMPORT to convert the transport file back into normal SAS datasets or catalogs.

For source code you can just transfer the files as TEXT using whatever transfer method you use.  That way the transfer will convert the text from EBCDIC to ASCII so that it will be readable.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I can confirm that CPORT/CIMPORT works for this task. We transferred all our DW data from z/OS to AIX using this method. Make sure that the CPORT files are created on the MF with the correct file format parameters. After transmitting as binary, they were perfectly usable on the UNIX system.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation