BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS Community, Good day.

I have a table, which stores all columns attributes in row base, named as UDF_DEF table. In this table, it has column such as TABLE_NM, COLUMN_NM, COLUMN_DATA_TYPE, COLUMN_LENGTH.

So the sample data in table A would look like this:

TABLE_NM, COLUMN_NM, COLUMN_DATA_TYPE, COLUMN_LENGTH.
A          AGE              NUM               8
A          SEX               CHAR            20
A          LOCATION        CHAR            300
B          CAR BRAND      CHAR            100
C          NEWS BODY     LNGCHAR          1000

Sorry for the text alignment, but basically thats the data of this table.

But, when i do a proc transpose to make each of the row in COLUMN_NM become 1 column each, new columns are all 1000 length due to the fact that 'COLUMN_NM' in table A is 1000.

Is there a way that i could modify transpose function to give each of the columns a specific/individual length instead of the default 1000 ? What would the be method?

1 REPLY 1
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

To what purpose, is this for reading data in from a text file, or altering an existing table?  The way to use it is slightly different depending on how you want to use it.  For instance, if it is to read a text file in, then you can use that dataset to generate the import code:

data _null_;
  set have;
  by table_nm;
  if first.table_nm then do;
    call execute(cats('filename tmp "c:\',table_nm,'";'));
    call execute('data '||strip(table_nm)||'; file tmp; length...');
  end;
  else do;
  end;
run;

If its to alter data already present then generate a proc datasets statment to alter.  This is where providing some test data (in the form of a datastep) and what the output should look like is so important, as I keep mentioning.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation