DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Time SAS program execution

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Time SAS program execution

Hello,

I am writing to program to retrieve data from databases (MS SQL, MS Access, etc) using Proc SQL in Base SAS. Since I do not know if the SQL statement may take too long and ends up freezing SAS, I would like to time the excution, i.e have a piece of code directly within the program that tracks how long the query has been running and if it runs for too long (say more than a few minutes) then terminates the execution. Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you,

Vi

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-03-2017 09:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time SAS program execution

I don't think you can do this from within one SAS program (although I'd love to been shown otherwise!).  I have some code that I created that outputs data (timestamp + descriptive text basically) to a text file (using FILENAME, FPUT, FAPPEND, etc) so I can monitor the process of an ongoing job, and you could probably combine something like that with a shell script that monitors that text file and kills the SAS job if it's not seeing progress.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎05-03-2017 09:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time SAS program execution

I don't think you can do this from within one SAS program (although I'd love to been shown otherwise!).  I have some code that I created that outputs data (timestamp + descriptive text basically) to a text file (using FILENAME, FPUT, FAPPEND, etc) so I can monitor the process of an ongoing job, and you could probably combine something like that with a shell script that monitors that text file and kills the SAS job if it's not seeing progress.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation