BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
is2
Obsidian | Level 7 is2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there,

Please help in choosing which edition is better of The little sas book.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Probably.

But people have put great effort and hard work into writing it, so you should pay the few bucks for it.

If you are looking for a great, free introduction to SAS, check out the SAS Programming 1 e-learning course 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please define "better".  At a guess I would say that 5th edition, due to being a more recent release would be more up to date than the 3rd edition release. 

is2
Obsidian | Level 7 is2
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there any major difference in 3rd and 5th edition of the book?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well:

https://www.sas.com/store/prodBK_65423_en.html?storeCode=SAS_US

Gives some indication of what is added in 5th edition.

"is it available for free download anywhere on web?" - no because that's illegal.

is2
Obsidian | Level 7 is2
Obsidian | Level 7
is it available for free download anywhere on web?
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Probably.

But people have put great effort and hard work into writing it, so you should pay the few bucks for it.

If you are looking for a great, free introduction to SAS, check out the SAS Programming 1 e-learning course 🙂

Reeza
Super User

@is2 wrote:
is it available for free download anywhere on web?

If you're affiliated with a University or your institution has access to the NEOS library you can get it via the library and/or an electronic access. I'm not sure if Safari Tech website/booksite has it online. They do have some of the other SAS books. 

Another option, if you're in Canada, they have a program called Friends of SAS. Not sure if your country has that. If it does you can earn points and redeem it for a free copy. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@SJSlaughter wrote the book along with Lora Delwiche -- she can probably chime in with specifics about what the 5th edition adds.  Mostly it expands on some newer features from recent SAS releases.  They also have another book:  The Little SAS Enterprise Guide Book  -- in case you're learning that application.

And now that you know that a person (or people) wrote this book -- and not a faceless corporation -- you wouldn't ever consider downloading a "free" copy from a dubious source.  Right?

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you to Chris and everyone else who has spoken up to discourage illegal downloading of The Little SAS Book

Lora Delwiche and I have devoted a lot of time to writing SAS books.  Even though our books are published by SAS Press, we are not employees of SAS Institute.  In fact, we are not paid a cent while writing our books; we only get paid afterwards when people buy our books.  So if people download illegal copies of our books, we don't get paid at all.  It takes us 2-3 years to write a book (6 years if you consider that we are both working on it). That is a lot of time to work without getting paid so we really appreciate those royalties!  Our books generally sell at a steep discount.  I typically make about $1 per book.  We have been lucky.  Our books have done better than most, but considering the amount of time we have spent, our income has been modest.  If people didn't buy our books, we would never have written 11 of them.  If people stop buying books, then new editions will stop too.  Illegal downloading stifles creators of all kinds (authors, artists, musicians, singers, game designers). 

If you can't afford to buy a new copy of The Little SAS Book, why not buy a used copy?  That way you won't encourage illegal downloading.  You can also try borrowing a copy from a library, especially university libraries.  If your library doesn't have a copy, why not ask them to buy one? 

Also, I second the recommendation made by a previous poster that you take advantage of the free e-learning courses offered by SAS Institute including SAS Programming 1.  And SAS Institute has a huge library of shorter videos on specific topics which are free and excellent. 

There are a lot of ways to learn SAS programming without resorting to illegal downloads. 

May all your data be clean and all your programs run the first time,

Susan

is2
Obsidian | Level 7 is2
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you and apologies.
I am not able to find a used copy, surely will buy a fresh one.
SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

This is an interesting question.  If you count all the editions (and you should because they are a lot of work!), Lora Delwiche and I have written 11 books.  When you write that many books, it is not surprising that some might turn out better than others.  If you asked me to name the two best editions of The Little SAS Book, I would say they are the 3rd and 5th.  I applaud the contributor of this question for being well informed. 

There are two major differences:

1) The 5th edition includes ODS Graphics (in stat PROCs, PROC SGPLOT and PROC SGPANEL).  ODS Graphics did not exist when we wrote the 3rd edition. 

2) The default for output has changed.  The 3rd edition shows LISTING output (in other words, text) whereas the 5th edition shows HTML output.  This might sound like a cosmetic difference, but it matters to new SAS users.  For example, if they use the 3rd edition, they could be confused by the fact that there is (by default) no output in the Output window.  The 5th edition tells you how to create text output; the 3rd edition doesn't since it was the default.  And it's always nice if the output shown in a book looks like what you actually get. 

There are smaller differences too.  The 5th edition covers linguistic sorting, PROC TTEST, and the AGE argument in the YRDIF function.  None of those is covered in the 3rd edition.   

So, I recommend the 3rd edition only for people who are using SAS 9.1 or earlier.  If you are using any flavor of SAS 9.2, then the 5th edition is a much better resource.  At this time, there is no reason to think the 5th edition will become obsolete. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 7 in conversation