DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Table created does not have the same length, informat and format

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Table created does not have the same length, informat and format

Hello Everyone.

I have my code to create target table based on source table. However, Table created does not have the same length, informat and format. The thing is, this is a macro code and it will generate 30 tables. I look at the table 1 by 1 and found out 3 out of 30 are not having the same length, informat and format. The rest of the 27 tables are getting the same exact attributes.

My code is :

proc sql;
 create table
 CDSSTG.&targettblnm as(
 select
%let comma =;
%let null=;
%let case2=case;
%let comma2=,;
%let one=1;
%let two=2;
%let previous=;
%let nothing =;
/*proc sql noprint; */
/*create table &targettblnm as(*/
	%do k=1 %to &cwcount;
	%if "&previous" ne "&&cwcolumn&k.." %then %do;
	%let tamat=end;
	%end;
	%else %do;
	%let tamat=;
	%end;
	/*first condition is to change unit only*/
	%if "&previous" ne "&&cwcolumn&k.." %then %do;
	%let tamat=end;
	%end;
	%else %do;
	%let tamat=;
	%end;
	%if "&&cwuomto&k.." ne "&null" %then %do;
/*		%put &tamat. */
	&comma case when &&cwcolumn&k.. ne %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) then %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) 
		else %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) end as &&cwcolumn&k..
	%end;
	/*second condition is to convert based on formula*/

%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&one" %then %do;

/*		%put */
	&comma case when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwto&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k..

%end;

%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&two" and "&&cwendflag&k.." ne "&one" %then %do;

when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwfrom&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k * &&cwformula&k..
	%end;
		%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&two" and "&&cwendflag&k.." eq "&one" %then %do;

when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwfrom&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k * &&cwformula&k.. end as &&cwcolumn&k
	%end;
	%else %do;

&comma &&cwcolumn&k..
	%end;
	%let comma=,;
	%let previous=&&cwcolumn&k..;

%end;
	 from CDSSTG.&sourcetblnm);
	quit;

This is a SQL with some logics in. The logics is working fine and perfectly but only 3 out of 30 tables do not have the same attributes as the source table. Do i actually missed out some important steps? Why is it only 3 tables are affected?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-18-2017 03:13 AM
Super User

Re: Table created does not have the same length, informat and format

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to imdickson

Because your variables are calculated in SQL (in the case statement), the length has to be guessed.

2 ways you can force the lengths:

- add a length= parameter in your select statement, like this:   case ... end as VAR length=

- create the table first: create table TAB2 like TAB1 and then insert into that table.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎08-18-2017 03:13 AM
Super User

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to imdickson

Because your variables are calculated in SQL (in the case statement), the length has to be guessed.

2 ways you can force the lengths:

- add a length= parameter in your select statement, like this:   case ... end as VAR length=

- create the table first: create table TAB2 like TAB1 and then insert into that table.

Frequent Contributor

I checked with my senior and what he said is exactly what you posted. Thanks for the reply. I used your method 1 and now it is working perfectly with my expected result sets.

I changed a few places to assign length format informat to macro array and include it in the %if in the last proc sql.

Once again thanks alot.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation