BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Everyone.

I have my code to create target table based on source table. However, Table created does not have the same length, informat and format. The thing is, this is a macro code and it will generate 30 tables. I look at the table 1 by 1 and found out 3 out of 30 are not having the same length, informat and format. The rest of the 27 tables are getting the same exact attributes.

My code is :

proc sql;
 create table
 CDSSTG.&targettblnm as(
 select
%let comma =;
%let null=;
%let case2=case;
%let comma2=,;
%let one=1;
%let two=2;
%let previous=;
%let nothing =;
/*proc sql noprint; */
/*create table &targettblnm as(*/
	%do k=1 %to &cwcount;
	%if "&previous" ne "&&cwcolumn&k.." %then %do;
	%let tamat=end;
	%end;
	%else %do;
	%let tamat=;
	%end;
	/*first condition is to change unit only*/
	%if "&previous" ne "&&cwcolumn&k.." %then %do;
	%let tamat=end;
	%end;
	%else %do;
	%let tamat=;
	%end;
	%if "&&cwuomto&k.." ne "&null" %then %do;
/*		%put &tamat. */
	&comma case when &&cwcolumn&k.. ne %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) then %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) 
		else %squote(&&cwuomto&k..) end as &&cwcolumn&k..
	%end;
	/*second condition is to convert based on formula*/

%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&one" %then %do;

/*		%put */
	&comma case when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwto&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k..

%end;

%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&two" and "&&cwendflag&k.." ne "&one" %then %do;

when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwfrom&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k * &&cwformula&k..
	%end;
		%else %if "&&cwsourceuomname&k.." ne "&null" and "&&cwdefaultflag&k.." eq "&two" and "&&cwendflag&k.." eq "&one" %then %do;

when &&cwsourceuomname&k.. = %squote(&&cwfrom&k..) then &&cwcolumn&k * &&cwformula&k.. end as &&cwcolumn&k
	%end;
	%else %do;

&comma &&cwcolumn&k..
	%end;
	%let comma=,;
	%let previous=&&cwcolumn&k..;

%end;
	 from CDSSTG.&sourcetblnm);
	quit;

This is a SQL with some logics in. The logics is working fine and perfectly but only 3 out of 30 tables do not have the same attributes as the source table. Do i actually missed out some important steps? Why is it only 3 tables are affected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Because your variables are calculated in SQL (in the case statement), the length has to be guessed.

2 ways you can force the lengths:

- add a length= parameter in your select statement, like this:   case ... end as VAR length=

- create the table first: create table TAB2 like TAB1 and then insert into that table.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Because your variables are calculated in SQL (in the case statement), the length has to be guessed.

2 ways you can force the lengths:

- add a length= parameter in your select statement, like this:   case ... end as VAR length=

- create the table first: create table TAB2 like TAB1 and then insert into that table.

imdickson
Quartz | Level 8

I checked with my senior and what he said is exactly what you posted. Thanks for the reply. I used your method 1 and now it is working perfectly with my expected result sets.

I changed a few places to assign length format informat to macro array and include it in the %if in the last proc sql.

Once again thanks alot.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation