BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

hello,

I would like to identify the name and the version of  ZIP UTILITIES(  7z, winzip, gzip, ...) used by sas under unix .

Thank you. an other means, I want to identify the zip utilities used by my sas under unix to zip

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

I don't think your question makes sense as phrased.

SAS can interact with any of the zip utilities IF system commands are allowed, the application is installed and the application can be run via command line. This is true of any application/utility not just zip utilities.

For the ZIP methods within SAS, for example FILENAME ZIP, the SAS 9.4 documentation states that it only can work with files from WinZip.  

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lestmtsref/68024/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1dn0f61yfyzton...

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you for your answer.

That's very kind from.

I know well that sas, can create a .zip file.

I hope to be crear, my question is not about the creation of .zip file, it is about the identification of zip utilities used by sas to zip

How can I know, If my sas use gzip or other  ? , and the version used ?

Reeza
Super User

Contact tech support, but I dont believe it uses an external program.  The tool/utility is built into SAS. The format of files is the WinZip format.  

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you.

That's very intersting as answer.

It means that, if I used in sas program the functions "zip or unzip" in sas 9.2 or other version , I can use only the WinZip fomat ?

Astounding
PROC Star

Whatever zip programs you have available, you could call from SAS.  For example within a SAS program:

%sysexec gzip /path/to/some/file;

If it would work as a Unix command, %SYSEXEC lets you execute that command from a SAS program.

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@LineMoon wrote:

@Astounding

No external utility is used. The LZW compression algorithm used in UNIX compress is public domain since 2003, and the algorithms of gzip are open source from the beginning. Therefore it is quite easy to incorporate those in software (as long as one follows the principles of the GPL if such code is used)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation