BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lillymaginta
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All, I have the following dataset 

id rx
1  a
1  b
1  d
2  a 
2  b
3  a
3 c
4  b
5 a
5 d
6 a
6 c
7 a
7 b

I am trying to summarize these combination as aggregate, here is the output I want  

a-b-d 1

a-b  2

a-c  2

b    1

a-d  1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

For data in that form this works:

data have;
   input patient_id rx $;
datalines;
1              a
1              b
1              c
2              a
2              b
3              a
3              b
;
run;

proc sort data=have; 
  by patient_id rx;
run;

proc transpose data=have
   out=trans;
by patient_id;
var rx;
run;

data want;
   set trans;
   array c col: ;
   length rx_list $ 200;
   rx_list= catx('-',of c(*));
   drop col: _name_ ;
run;

But this will only work if there is one RX per record and the RX doesn't repeat, unless you want a-a-b. If you don't want the repeats then add NODUPKEY to the Proc sort.

The sort also is used to keep from getting a-b and b-a as different results.

I am concerned about the patient 4 in your original post though. If you have multiple RX in a single record then you should consider making sure the structure is one RX per patient record which will involve some additional code.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

How do you get "a-c 2" and "a-d 1" from that data? You seem to be missing a detail or two on what you are counting and how to count it. At least I think those are supposed to be counts.

How many values may be in RX for a single row?

lillymaginta
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

For some reason, when I edit the dataset i get it correct but it is not when posted. Here are the correct entries:

id rx
1  a
1  b
1  d
2  a 
2  b
3  a
3 c
4  b
5 a
5 d
6 a
6 c
7 a
7 b

for patient 4 (b), patient 5 (a, d), patient 6 (a, c) and patients 7 (a,b) so you get 2 for a-c because patient 3 had a-c and patient 6 has a-c too. You are right for a-d, the triple combination can be counted under different category so for patient 1, it could be a-b, a-d and b-d and a-b-d but for smipliciy, I would count this only once as a-b-c so patient can be counted only one time in the aggregate measure. 

ballardw
Super User

Patient? Your example data does not cleary identify "Patient". If the ID is Patient then the example data is incomplete for the summary result shown.

lillymaginta
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Apologize if I am not clear, I will simplify my example. 

patient_id rx
1              a
1              b
1              c
2              a
2              b
3              a
3              b

The output would be

a-b-c     1

a-b        2

ballardw
Super User

For data in that form this works:

data have;
   input patient_id rx $;
datalines;
1              a
1              b
1              c
2              a
2              b
3              a
3              b
;
run;

proc sort data=have; 
  by patient_id rx;
run;

proc transpose data=have
   out=trans;
by patient_id;
var rx;
run;

data want;
   set trans;
   array c col: ;
   length rx_list $ 200;
   rx_list= catx('-',of c(*));
   drop col: _name_ ;
run;

But this will only work if there is one RX per record and the RX doesn't repeat, unless you want a-a-b. If you don't want the repeats then add NODUPKEY to the Proc sort.

The sort also is used to keep from getting a-b and b-a as different results.

I am concerned about the patient 4 in your original post though. If you have multiple RX in a single record then you should consider making sure the structure is one RX per patient record which will involve some additional code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation