BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aaou
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you!

aaou
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Xia,
I have more question. If I am to change the time window, for example if I am to look back at 4 years, instead of 3 years; how would the code change? Where are the places that I need to change and what are the changes?

I'm completely new to programming so I really do appreciate your patience.
Reeza
Super User

@aaou Fastest way to learn is to get code, change a line and see what happens.

Since you know 3 is your aggregate before, consider finding all values of 3 in the code and changing them to 4. Make sure to identify any other indexes that may also need to be changed - ie a 2 may need to be incremented to 3. 

Also, make sure you test your code and results thoroughly. I like to take a small subset, test it, then apply it to the full dataset. And then recheck a bunch of random cases. 

aaou
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, that's precisely what I did. But it didn't give me the deisred output. Perhaps I haven't changed all the relevant parameters.

ballardw
Super User

I suspect that you may need to address some issues related to the actual number of previous values available in your data. In the start of this you had "look at the previous 3 except when there were  only 2 or 1 do something else"

Now by increasing the look back for 4 you need to add how to deal with the case when there are only 3 previous values.

Ksharp
Super User
Chang the following:

proc transpose data=have(obs=0 drop=id year) out=x;
run;
proc sql noprint;
select _name_ into : names separated by ',' from x;

select catt('array _',_name_,'{0:3} _temporary_;')   * <---------;
       into : arrays separated by ' '
   from x;

select catt('sum_',_name_,'=sum(of _',_name_,'{*});')
   into : sums separated by ' ' 
   from x;

select catt('_',_name_,'{mod(n,4)}=',_name_,';') into : v separated by ' '      * <---------;
 from x;
quit;

proc sql;
create table temp as
 select a.*,&names
  from (select * from
  (select distinct id from have),(select distinct year from have)) as a
  left join have as b 
   on a.year=b.year and a.id=b.id
    order by a.id,a.year;
quit;

data want;
 set temp;
 by id;
 &arrays
 if first.id then n=0;
 n+1;
 &sums
 &v
 if n gt 4;     * <---------;
 keep id year sum_:;
 run;
aaou
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation