BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jgraupner
Fluorite | Level 6

event_id          attendance 
1                        17

2                         3

How do I sum "attendance" only for unique even_id? Total attendance in this example should equal 20 (not 17+17+17+3+3+3).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

UNTESTED CODE

proc sql;
      create table unique as select distinct event_id,attendance from have;
run;
proc means data=unique;
    var attendance;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

UNTESTED CODE

proc sql;
      create table unique as select distinct event_id,attendance from have;
run;
proc means data=unique;
    var attendance;
run;
--
Paige Miller
jgraupner
Fluorite | Level 6

This gives me the count (N) of how many attendences there are but does not display the summary of how many people attended. 

output:

N    Mean  StdD   Min   Max

940    29     30        5      100

To be clear, Summarizing all 940 (N) is not what I want. I want summary of attendance per event without duplicate. Thanks a lot!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@jgraupner wrote:

This gives me the count (N) of how many attendences there are but does not display the summary of how many people attended. 

output:

N    Mean  StdD   Min   Max

940    29     30        5      100

You can add the SUM option to the PROC MEANS statement and get the sum. Or you can multiply the mean (29) by the N (940) to get the sum. 

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

@jgraupner wrote:

event_id          attendance 

How do I sum "attendance" only for unique even_id? Total attendance in this example should equal 20 (not 17+17+17+3+3+3).

Thanks

Will attendance always be the same  for each EVENT_ID?

If so, use PROC SORT with NODUPKEY to remove the duplicates and then sum using PROC MEANS or SUMMARY

Astounding
PROC Star

Hopefully, somebody already advised you that this is not a good format to use for saving your data.  Next time, listen to that person.  Here's a way to "undo" the repetition:

data want;

set have;

by event_id;

if last.event_id;

total_attendance_so_far + attendance;

run;

This assumes that your data is in order by event_ID.  The final total is part of the final observation.

jgraupner
Fluorite | Level 6

event_id          attendance      respondent_id            demographics
1                        17                           1                                4

1                        17                           2                                6

1                        17                           3                                7

2                         3                            1                                2

2                         3                            2                                4

2                         3                            3                                5

Here's a clearer picture of the data I'm working with. I merged attendance data and demographic data on event_id, thus the repetition. How exactly would you recommend a 'good format' to use to save my data. Thanks.

Astounding
PROC Star

I would recommend keeping them separate ... one data set for event-level data and a second data set for demographic data.  There's no need to merge everything together in order to analyze the data.  If you come to a point where the analysis requires that you merge them, go ahead and merge them as a temporary data set for that analysis.  If that were the plan, you could have gone directly to PROC MEANS on the event-level data, with no complications.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation