DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Subsetting data with date and string for a do function

Contributor

Subsetting data with date and string for a do function

I am getting error for this code, not knowing where I am missing.

data want;

data have;

if centre in ('Shai','Hub','imen') and Date_of_Birth between mdy(3,01,1953) and mdy(6,30,1974) then status = 'pass';

run;

Not sure where I am missing, I tried with where as well but not succeeding, apart from that also checked with do end , But could not get the required result, Can any one help on this

Thanks

Trusted Advisor

Re: Subsetting data with date and string for a do function

Seems like you need set statement

data want;

set have;

if centre in ('Shai','Hub','imen') and Date_of_Birth between mdy(3,01,1953) and mdy(6,30,1974) then status = 'pass';

run;

Contributor

Agree with you,

Actually it has to be

Data want;

set have;

run;

It was a typo sorry for that. However running the mentioned codes by replacing with Set is not deriving the expected result

Super User

Also, you can't use BETWEEN with an IF statement, only a WHERE statement. So either change to where or switch the comparison to mdy(3, 1, 1953)<=date_of_birth<=mdy(6, 30, 1974)
Contributor

Hello Reeza,

I got the solution, However if I use 'between and' for a date, and if I use 'Where' or 'IF' I am not getting the expected results, is it like if I am using 'between and' for a date can't I use 'where' and 'IF'

Thanks,

Super User

Try:

if centre in ('Shai','Hub','imen') and (mdy(3,01,1953) le Date_of_Birth le mdy(6,30,1974)) then status = 'pass';

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation