BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ching_wee_lim
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I'm using SAS 9.2 and I'm curious about a particular message in the log when accessing a particular dataset through data step.

When the data step is run, the log gives the following warning message

Data Step:

data aa;
set input.dataset;
run;

"WARNING: Integrity constraints cannot be processed for file INPUT.DATASET because its encoding

does not match the session encoding or the file is in a format native to another host,

such as HP_UX_64, RS_6000_AIX_64, SOLARIS_64, HP_IA64."

However, when I access the dataset through PROC SQL, it gave no such message.

PROC SQL:

proc sql;
  create table bb as 
    select * from input.dataset;
quit;

As such, what is the message trying to say? And more importantly, when coming across such a message, is it okay to ignore it and use PROC SQL instead?

Many thanks.

Ching Wee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Integrity constraints are defined so that operations that change the dataset adhere to specific rules. Since you do not intend to write to the dataset, but only want to read from it, you can safely ignore that WARNING.

I would not be surprised if digging deeper lets us find a SAS system option that even suppresses such WARNINGs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@RahulG I dont how that link helps.

@ching_wee_lim I can't think of a reason why reading the table one way or another should yield different behaviours. Best to ask Tech support imho.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

The message says that the dataset was created on a different platform, eg. unix vs windows.

SAS recocnize the original platform and gives warning, just in case they are not completely compatible;

Usually you can ignore it until you find some suspicious fenomena as text conversion or something else.

ching_wee_lim
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shmuel!

Thanks for your insights! Sorry I'm new to SAS communities. I wanted to accept your answer as well but seems like I can only accept one 😞

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Integrity constraints are defined so that operations that change the dataset adhere to specific rules. Since you do not intend to write to the dataset, but only want to read from it, you can safely ignore that WARNING.

I would not be surprised if digging deeper lets us find a SAS system option that even suppresses such WARNINGs.

ching_wee_lim
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks KurtBremser!

So just curious, if I would want to write into the dataset, I would have to find that particular rule that is causing the issue and fix it? And what are some examples of rules to fix?

ching_wee_lim
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone for your insights! I shall accept KurtBremser's answer.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation