BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

I want to standardize the variable titled "Value" such that it has a maximum value of X (e.g., -2) and a minimum value of Y (e.g., 10). To do so, I want that all observations are adjusted in the same way. 

Please see below the code I have written so far and it is based on a post by @Rick_SAS (please see link below): 

DATA work.sample;
	INPUT Institution $ Value;
	DATALINES; 
	ABC 0.8 
	BCD 0.9 
	CDF 1.2 
	DEF -0.1
;
RUN;
*Normalize the data above to a max of 1 and min of 0 such that all other observations (non-max and non-min values) will also change;

proc stdize data=work.sample out=work.sample2 method=RANGE;
   var Value;
run;
/*To change to a different range (e.g., [-1,1])*/
data work.sample3; set work.sample2; Value = 2*Value - 1; run;

Question 1: 
By adjusting the range, all of the non-boundary values will also be adjusted, right? For instance, if we have 3 observations (e.g., -10, 5, 10), then the median will also change such that it incorporates the adjustment of the upper and lower boundary (which changes to 0 and 1, respectively).

Question 2:
If I want to have an upper bound of 10 and a lower bound of 2 what change do I have to make in the last part of the code?

Link: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/scaling-variable-in-a-dataset/td-p/13294

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Q1: Correct.

Q2: You can use the MULT= and ADD= options to scale and translate directly in PROC STDIZE. So insted of STDIZE followed by a DATA step, you can get sample3 by using

proc stdize data=work.sample out=work.sample4 method=RANGE mult=2 add=-1;
   var Value;
run;

In particular, if you want an upper bound of 10 and a lower bound of 2, then the scale of the data is (10-2)=8 and the offset is 2, so you can use 

proc stdize data=work.sample out=work.sample5 method=RANGE mult=8 add=2;
   var Value;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Q1: Correct.

Q2: You can use the MULT= and ADD= options to scale and translate directly in PROC STDIZE. So insted of STDIZE followed by a DATA step, you can get sample3 by using

proc stdize data=work.sample out=work.sample4 method=RANGE mult=2 add=-1;
   var Value;
run;

In particular, if you want an upper bound of 10 and a lower bound of 2, then the scale of the data is (10-2)=8 and the offset is 2, so you can use 

proc stdize data=work.sample out=work.sample5 method=RANGE mult=8 add=2;
   var Value;
run;
Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

Perfect, thank you for this helpful reply. Lastly, I am wondering if there is any way to use "proc stdize" such that one can directly specify the upper and lower bound without having to add / subtract or multiply / divide values. For instance, if one wants to have a lower bound of 1.61 and an upper bound of 3.14, would it be possibly to directly specify these bounds? 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
%let lower = 1.61;
%let upper = 3.14;
%let range = %sysevalf(&upper - &lower);
proc stdize data=sample out=sample6 method=RANGE mult=&range add=&lower;
   var Value;
run;
Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you very much, @Rick_SAS

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation