BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I need some help to find out Standard Normal Probability Distribution .I tried various links and post in Google to find out out the answer but could not got what exactly what i am looking for .

So here is is what i am looking for .

If my computed Z value us 2.84 the area under the curve is .4977  and if it is 1 then its is .3413 as per the normal curve table.

I am unable to find out how to get this .4977 and .3413 when i have z value is 2.84 and 1 respectively .

I tried CPF and PDF function none of this giving me  .4977 and .3413.

Can any one of you help me to find out this answers .

Regards

KD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

There are two slightly different types of "normal curve tables", more precisely: of tables of the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the standard normal distribution N(0, 1): Some tabulate the actual cumulative distribution function F, which satisfies F(u)=P(X<=u) for a random variable X having a standard normal distribution (so that P(X<=u) is the probability that such a random variable takes a value less than or equal to u). Others tabulate, for non-negative u, the values of F(u) - 0.5, i.e. the probabilities P(0<X<=u). Your table is of the latter type.

Remember that the area under the bell-shaped curve representing the probability density function (PDF) of the standard normal distribution equals 1 and that it is symmetric about the y-axis, so that F(0)=P(X<=0)=0.5.

The SAS function CDF calculates values of cumulative distribution functions. In particular, CDF('NORMAL', u) returns F(u). As mentioned above, you have to subtract 0.5 in order to arrive at the values found in your table.

data _null_;
p=cdf('NORMAL', 2.84)-0.5;
put p 6.4;
run; /* 0.4977 */

data _null_;
p=cdf('NORMAL', 1)-0.5;
put p 6.4;
run; /* 0.3413 */

PDF('NORMAL', u) returns the value of the standard normal probability density function. Its symmetry mentioned above means that PDF('NORMAL', u)=PDF('NORMAL', -u) for all numbers u. For calculating probabilities, CDF is the function to use.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

There are two slightly different types of "normal curve tables", more precisely: of tables of the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the standard normal distribution N(0, 1): Some tabulate the actual cumulative distribution function F, which satisfies F(u)=P(X<=u) for a random variable X having a standard normal distribution (so that P(X<=u) is the probability that such a random variable takes a value less than or equal to u). Others tabulate, for non-negative u, the values of F(u) - 0.5, i.e. the probabilities P(0<X<=u). Your table is of the latter type.

Remember that the area under the bell-shaped curve representing the probability density function (PDF) of the standard normal distribution equals 1 and that it is symmetric about the y-axis, so that F(0)=P(X<=0)=0.5.

The SAS function CDF calculates values of cumulative distribution functions. In particular, CDF('NORMAL', u) returns F(u). As mentioned above, you have to subtract 0.5 in order to arrive at the values found in your table.

data _null_;
p=cdf('NORMAL', 2.84)-0.5;
put p 6.4;
run; /* 0.4977 */

data _null_;
p=cdf('NORMAL', 1)-0.5;
put p 6.4;
run; /* 0.3413 */

PDF('NORMAL', u) returns the value of the standard normal probability density function. Its symmetry mentioned above means that PDF('NORMAL', u)=PDF('NORMAL', -u) for all numbers u. For calculating probabilities, CDF is the function to use.

pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9
THANK YOU !!!! FreelanceReinhard.. This is why I love this forum ....THANK YOU !!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation