BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tritringuyen
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone can help me on this issue. I need a code to split a string into two different string and then merge them again. I am working on a Compustat variable which is about zipcode. However, a lot of zipcode is incorrect (I guess). I want 5 digit zipcode (character) while some values have only 4 or 3 characters. My strategy is to slip values into two part: first part has left-most two digits, and second part has the rest. For second part, I need to add missing "0" (add 2 zeros if second part has only 1 character; and add 1 zero if second part has 2 character). Then I need to add first part and second part together to have full zipcode.

The code should be generalised as most of zipcodes are correct with 5 digits (of course, I want to keep those zipcodes as they are).

Here is an example.

Have   Want

0157    01057

427     42007

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Thierry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
 data have;
 input var $;
 cards;
;

data want;
set have;
if length(strip(var)) ne 5  then need=cats(substr(var,1,2),put(input(substr(var,3),8.),z3.));
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
 data have;
 input var $;
 cards;
;

data want;
set have;
if length(strip(var)) ne 5  then need=cats(substr(var,1,2),put(input(substr(var,3),8.),z3.));
run;
tritringuyen
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much! It really works!

ballardw
Super User

An example creating a new zip variable so you can verify that the result is as needed looking at your old zip.

Note that the result for two characters is going to be wrong as you did not provide a rule for that case.

data dummy;
   input zip $;
   if length(zip) < 5 then newzip=cats(substr(zip,1,2),put(input(substr(left(zip),3),best.),z3.));
   else newzip=zip;
datalines;
;
run;

I used <5 in case your actual data has Zip+4 values in it.

If this works for your data you could replace the Newzip variable in the IF statement with Zip and not need the else.

tritringuyen
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much! Yes, zipcodes may have 4 digits at the end, but I dont need it. But the code is helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation