BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello 

I am trying to filter a data using a set of ICD codes. In my sas dataset, there are 18 diagnosis-related variables (1 primary and 17 secondary; character and $7) and I have a set of ICD codes/conditions I am interested in. I want to tell SAS to examine all 18 variables and pick out the observations that match one of the ICD codes. Here's the ICD codes I am interested in: 

O36.4XX0-036.4XX9 

Z37.1 Z37.3 Z37.4 

Z37.6 

Z37.60 

Z37.61

Z37.62 

Z37.63

Z37.64 

Z37.69 

Z37.7 

I think I can use CATX but not sure how to go about it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The way that I've seen this done before:

• Use a SAS array to hold the values of each diagnosis code variable in your record
  • Then use the IN operator to check for each of your potential DX codes.

See this paper for some examples.

Excerpt:

data ExampleA2;
 set TableA;
 array AllDiagCodes {25} $ DgCd1 – DgCd25;
 RespInd = 0;
 do i = 1 to 25;
   if AllDiagCodes{i} IN ('A100','A304','A503')
    then RespInd = 1;
 end;
 drop i;
run; 

A faster, and probably more robust method will involve the hash object.  But hash objects have a bit of a learning curve.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The first thing we need is an example of your dataset. See my footnotes for how to convert a dataset to data step code and how to post that code.

Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to the data at the moment. What I posted is a summary of the instruction I got and I was trying to figure out a way to do it before I receive the data. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can use catx() to concatenate all the character variables and then use index() to see if a comparison string is present in there.

If you need to check for several strings, you can either use a macro %do loop to repetitively create code, or store your comparison strings into a temporary array you can use in a (datastep code) do loop.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The way that I've seen this done before:

• Use a SAS array to hold the values of each diagnosis code variable in your record
  • Then use the IN operator to check for each of your potential DX codes.

See this paper for some examples.

Excerpt:

data ExampleA2;
 set TableA;
 array AllDiagCodes {25} $ DgCd1 – DgCd25;
 RespInd = 0;
 do i = 1 to 25;
   if AllDiagCodes{i} IN ('A100','A304','A503')
    then RespInd = 1;
 end;
 drop i;
run; 

A faster, and probably more robust method will involve the hash object.  But hash objects have a bit of a learning curve.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

1) You wrote: "there are 18 diagnosis-related variables ..." - please post your dataset format, to show which variables are there,

and what do you mean by primary and secondary icodes. It is enougth to display the releant variables.

2) Is the set you are looking for fix or do you preffer to have it dymaic, easy to change ?

3) You mentiond that ICOD is a CHAR type $7 - then what do you mean by:

O36.4XX0-036.4XX9   /* is this a rage of ICODES   */

Z37.1 Z37.3 Z37.4   /* is this a list of ICODES ? */

Is the ICODE aligned to left or it can contain leading spaces ?
Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6

I clearly confused a lot of people... Hope this clarifies a few things

1) I haven't received the data yet I just know there are 18 diagnosis-related variables I can use and the format(size) of these variables are txt (7)
2) Fixed
3) Yes, those are the ICD codes we are interested in.

As far as I know they do not have leading spaces and they are aligned to left.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Kiko I concur with @ChrisHemedinger on hash solution. If you could provide us a clear HAVE sample and a WANT sample, I would like to attempt the hash solution and that helps not going back and forth for further clarity. Thanks

Astounding
PROC Star

If you are looking to actually learn something, rather than accepting a solution you barely understand, here's what I would suggest.  (Other solutions are perfectly fine, but you have to appreciate that the background of the posters varies quite a bit and what might work best is not necessarily the best choice for you.)

(1) On your own, write a program that would check just one diagnosis code against your list of possible values.

(2) To check all the diagnosis codes instead of just one, apply the arrays suggestion.

(3) Make one small change to it, to speed things up slightly:

do i = 1 to 25 until (RespInd=1);

That way, the program will stop checking the rest of the ICD codes as soon as it finds a match.

Kiko
Fluorite | Level 6
Great suggestion. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation