DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Smart Quotes Vs. Simple Quotes

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Smart Quotes Vs. Simple Quotes

My program didn't work because I had smart quotes instead of simple quotes. What is the difference? Thanks!

Here is a response from another anwered post:

The code you posted will not run.

This line

Value = spedis(Name,‘Friedman’) ;

has "smart quotes", the curly version instead of a simple '

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-14-2017 06:23 PM
Super User

Re: Smart Quotes Vs. Simple Quotes

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to ManitobaMoose

PDF and WORD use smart quotes. They are not recognized by programs as valid characters. They 'look' better.

from the oracle known as Google:

Smart quotes,” the correct quotation marks and apostrophes, are curly or sloped. "Dumb quotes," or straightquotes, are a vestigial constraint from typewriters when using one key for two different marks helped save space on a keyboard.

EDIT: If you paste code in word it tends to automatically format them to smart quotes. So if you copy and paste code - which is not a good way to learn programming because your brain doesn't actually process what's being copied - you'll end up with this issue. Typing out the code line by line forces your brain to wonder, why the heck is there a semicolon here? Or why is there a set of commas back to back? You'll miss those details when copying and pasting. If you're just learning a language I highly recommend you type out the commands at first.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-14-2017 06:23 PM
Super User

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to ManitobaMoose

PDF and WORD use smart quotes. They are not recognized by programs as valid characters. They 'look' better.

from the oracle known as Google:

Smart quotes,” the correct quotation marks and apostrophes, are curly or sloped. "Dumb quotes," or straightquotes, are a vestigial constraint from typewriters when using one key for two different marks helped save space on a keyboard.

EDIT: If you paste code in word it tends to automatically format them to smart quotes. So if you copy and paste code - which is not a good way to learn programming because your brain doesn't actually process what's being copied - you'll end up with this issue. Typing out the code line by line forces your brain to wonder, why the heck is there a semicolon here? Or why is there a set of commas back to back? You'll miss those details when copying and pasting. If you're just learning a language I highly recommend you type out the commands at first.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of smart quotes, which is why I turn them off in Word (and by extension, in MS Outlook which respects the same preferences).  You'll find the setting in Word, File->Options, Proofing tab, then click AutoCorrect.

sq.png

This affects only those quotes that you type, not those that you copy/paste from somewhere else.  PDF and Word docs are notorious for smart quote contamination.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation