BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nsns
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I am working with a company that will export data from SharePoint to SAS datasets.  Is there anyway to assign variable labels in SharePoint so that when the data get transferred to SAS the labels are already there?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Clarify what exactly is meant by"...assign variable labels in SharePoint..." - as in what type of "published document" is of interest to interpret and how do you intend to access/retrieve the data objects from SAS?

Scott Barry

SBBWorks,Inc.

nsns
Obsidian | Level 7

The data that is being collected in questionnaires will be processed in SharePoint.   I have associated SAS names, SAS labels and formats (where applicable) to each of the variables that are being collected.  I have asked to receive the data from the questionnaires in SAS datasets.  My question is whether the SharePoint data can be assigned the labels (and formats if possible)  upfront in SharePoint so that when I receive the data in SAS datasets it will have the SAS names and SAS labels associated already.

(I have no experience in SharePoint and I believe that the SharePoint people  have none or very little experience with SAS - which is what is making this an even harder challenge).

Thanks in advance for any help.

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Not likely that you associated any "SAS" specific reference to the SharePoint data.  Most likely is that you are faced with exporting "survey" type SharePoint data as an Excel-type data-format, possibly even resorting to column/row CSV-type input handling which SAS can deal with easily -- also, most likely needing to use SAS input-handling process via an FTP-like connection.

To consider prior SAS-related discussion, recommend an Internet search, such as argument-string as:   sharepoint data site:sas.com

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

nsns
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Scott,

You are probably correct. have searched around and have not found anything very useful.  The SharePoint data is probably being transferred to Excel and then to SAS.  Is there anyway to set up a transfer from Excel to SAS such that the labels and formats can be associated during the transfer?

nsns
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Scott,

You are probably correct. have searched around and have not found anything very useful.  The SharePoint data is probably being transferred to Excel and then to SAS.  Is there anyway to set up a transfer from Excel to SAS such that the labels and formats can be associated during the transfer?

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There is no "transfer from Excel to SAS" -- you are faced with doing your input-handling from SAS to connect to the SharePoint server/machine "source" location to read/process the data and generate a suitable SAS-representation, likely with a FILENAME / DATA step processing.

Obviously you will need to gain access-authorization to the SharePoint-deployed system/server, working with your SharePoint admin staff, while also making available the specific location where the "source" SharePoint data file/folder(directory) is located.  Recommend to start with confirming that FTP direct-access (outside of SAS) works as expected, then progress to compose your SAS-based input-processing SAS script(s) as needed to process the data.

Make good use of the available SharePoint related resources / papers / posts on the SAS support website.

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation