BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cxkev
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have created and exported an excel file (Using ODS tagsets,ExcelXP). Now am I trying to send that file via email with the following code:

%macro newrepmail (team, fileloc, recipient,desc);

FILENAME output EMAIL

SUBJECT="Test Subject"

FROM= "My Email Address"

TO= &recipient.

ATTACH=&fileloc.;

/* Sending email */

DATA _NULL_;

FILE output;

PUT "Test Body";

RUN;

%mend newrepmail;

%newrepmail (DLK,

("Location of the File"),

("Recipient"),

WT MI);

I get the error: An attachment record was truncated. The attachment LRECL is too small.

Please can anyone advise of a way round this?

Many Thanks for your help,

cxkev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WendyT
Pyrite | Level 9

Cxkev- I was wrestling with this same item this morning.  I have a monthly batch that sends QA notifications to folks, and it has run without problems for a couple of years under first 9.2, and now 9.3.

I found a problem note that suggested putting the lrecl= in the attachment specification, and it worked for me.  http://support.sas.com/kb/4/425.html

We are running 9.3 (TS1M2) via remote login to a Windows 2008 server.

Hope this helps!

WendyT

%LET DAYO=%SYSFUNC(TODAY(),YYMMDDN8.) ;

FILENAME SENDMAIL EMAIL        

SUBJECT="SAMPLE QA REPORT"        

FROM="WendyT@ouraddress.com"        

TO=("person1@ouraddress.com"             "person2@ouraddress.com")        

ATTACH=("&QA_REPORTS\Monthly_Sample_QA_Report_&DAYO..HTML" LRECL=9999) ;

DATA _NULL_ ;  

FILE SENDMAIL ;  

PUT "Coded sample results for the last 120 days are attached" ;  

PUT "  " ;  

RUN ;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Amir
PROC Star

Hi,

I searched for the error messages you reported and found the following links:

39996 - "ERROR: An attachment record was truncated" when sending Excel files as email attachments fr...

40143 - E-mail output from SAS® 9.2 fails when attachments have an LRECL value greater than 1000

I'm not sure which platform you're running SAS on, so I'm not sure which (if any) apply.

As a side note, I could not see the "desc" macro function parameter being used anywhere - may be it is in your full code; and I would recommend avoid using SAS statements for naming purposes, e.g. "output".

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Amir.

WendyT
Pyrite | Level 9

Cxkev- I was wrestling with this same item this morning.  I have a monthly batch that sends QA notifications to folks, and it has run without problems for a couple of years under first 9.2, and now 9.3.

I found a problem note that suggested putting the lrecl= in the attachment specification, and it worked for me.  http://support.sas.com/kb/4/425.html

We are running 9.3 (TS1M2) via remote login to a Windows 2008 server.

Hope this helps!

WendyT

%LET DAYO=%SYSFUNC(TODAY(),YYMMDDN8.) ;

FILENAME SENDMAIL EMAIL        

SUBJECT="SAMPLE QA REPORT"        

FROM="WendyT@ouraddress.com"        

TO=("person1@ouraddress.com"             "person2@ouraddress.com")        

ATTACH=("&QA_REPORTS\Monthly_Sample_QA_Report_&DAYO..HTML" LRECL=9999) ;

DATA _NULL_ ;  

FILE SENDMAIL ;  

PUT "Coded sample results for the last 120 days are attached" ;  

PUT "  " ;  

RUN ;

cxkev
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I tried that but I still got the same error message. I'm using SAS 9.2. There was a option to install a hot fix on teh SAS site but I don't have those privelages on my work PC.

To get round the issue I simply removed the long text columns in my report, and instead, input a hyperlink within the report to take the user to a seperate report which will include the long text. As the seperate report is not being emailed it doesn't encounter the same error.

Thanks everyone for your help.

bulewind
Fluorite | Level 6

can you try use 

CONTENT_TYPE= (or CT=) option in the FILENAME statement for the attachment as shown in the example below:

filename sendit email from="user@company.com"    to="someone@domain.com"    subject="Excel files from SAS"   attach=("myfile.xls" content_type="application/vnd.ms-excel");

official link: http://support.sas.com/kb/39/996.html

Mine works but my file corrupt, I guess because my SAS EG 4.3 version too lower.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation