BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EinarRoed
Pyrite | Level 9

I'd appreciate some advice regarding selective upcase.

Consider the following string:

"Some examples are Sas, Fbi, Cia, Fda, and Nsa."

Is there a practical way of saying "when the string contains ('Sas', 'Fbi', 'Cia', etc.) then those should be upcase?

I can always treat each individual case using the case function w/multiple when-then, but I'd rather put everything that should be upcase within a set of paranthesis, as above. If possible... Smiley Happy

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, though I don't use formats.  As mentioned, first step would be to create the dataset of the pairs, e.g.

VAL1               VAL2

Bank 1 Asa      Bank 1 ASA

Bank 2 Asa      Bank 2 ASA

Then from that dataset you can do:

data _null_;

set codelist end=last;

if _n_=1 then call execute('data want; set have;');

call execute('if myvalue="'||strip(val1)||'" then newvalue="'||strip(val2)||"';');

if last then call execute('run;');

run;

Note, you could alo do the above by merging as well.  Its really a case of knowing what to change, i.e. what logic rules, up front, rather than a method of coding it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, if you can put some logic rules on it then possibly.  For instance, will they always be three letters?  I doubt you can put logic on it though, as what your talking about is anachronisms which aren't part of a basic language formula, but a made up thing by companies or such like.  For instance, Sas, could relate to SAS Software, the SAS (military), Scandanavian Air Services etc. depending on context.  Cia could be a shortening of Cioa in Italian etc.

So without a logical rule, you would need to supply a list of them yourself.  Maybe create a dataset with the ones you know, and a decode.  Then you can update that separately from your code.  E.g.

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select     A.*,

(select LONG_VAL from CODELIST where SHORT_VAL=A.SHORT_VAL) as LONG_VAL

from      HAVE;

quit;

Dataset:

Short_Val     Long_val

fbi                FBI

sas               SAS

EinarRoed
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a little more background:

We have a list of bank names, and they're all in upcase. We need them in propcase. However, there's a few 'shared terms' that should always be upcase, such as for example 'ASA'.

Basically I want to avoid writing this for each of those terms and banks:

case

when 'Bank 1 Asa' then 'Bank 1 ASA'

when 'Bank 2 Asa' then 'Bank 2 ASA'

when 'Bank 3 Asa' then 'Bank 3 ASA'

when 'Bank 4 Asa' then 'Bank 4 ASA'

end

I could of course use tranwrd(bankname, 'Asa', 'ASA'), but is there a way to use it multiple times, for 5-6 different terms, within the same expression? In example 'As' should always be 'AS', and 'Sb' should always be 'SB' - and only as long as they're individual words, not part of other words ('Asatru Asa' should not become 'ASAtru ASA', but 'Asatru ASA', to use a random fictive example).

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, though I don't use formats.  As mentioned, first step would be to create the dataset of the pairs, e.g.

VAL1               VAL2

Bank 1 Asa      Bank 1 ASA

Bank 2 Asa      Bank 2 ASA

Then from that dataset you can do:

data _null_;

set codelist end=last;

if _n_=1 then call execute('data want; set have;');

call execute('if myvalue="'||strip(val1)||'" then newvalue="'||strip(val2)||"';');

if last then call execute('run;');

run;

Note, you could alo do the above by merging as well.  Its really a case of knowing what to change, i.e. what logic rules, up front, rather than a method of coding it.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

you can use proc format for this.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation