BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

Select only the highest-ranked in each ranking group using the Rank column (1 is the highest possible rank).

contract        Rankgroup           CC                      Rank

1001             Neoplasm 1        CC-10                      4

1001             Neoplasm 1        CC-9                        2

1001             Neoplasm 1        CC-7                        3

1001             Neoplasm 2         CC-10                      1

1001             Neoplasm 2        CC-10                       1

1001             Neoplasm 2        CC-7                         3

8 REPLIES 8
Hima
Obsidian | Level 7

data test;                                        
input contract Rankgroup $5-15 CC $ Rank ;
datalines;
1001 Neoplasm 1 CC-10 4
1001 Neoplasm 1 CC-9 2
1001 Neoplasm 1 CC-7 3
1001 Neoplasm 2 CC-10 1
1001 Neoplasm 2 CC-10 1
1001 Neoplasm 2 CC-7 3

;
RUN;
PROC PRINT; RUN;

PROC SQL;
SELECT * FROM test WHERE RANK IN (SELECT MIN(RANK) FROM tesT);
QUIT;

art297
Opal | Level 21

Or, with just one pass through the data:

proc sql;

create table want as

select *

from have

group by rankgroup

having rank=min(rank)

;

quit;

KarlK
Fluorite | Level 6

Not arguing, Art, just taking a learning opportunity. I get the "query requires remerging" message from your query, so Proc Sql technically is reading the data twice, no?

Also, SasPhile, Art's elegant query reproduces the duplicate record you have in your original dataset. If you don't want that, you can add "distinct" as in "select distinct *. . .".

Karl

art297
Opal | Level 21

Karl, I agree!  Conversely, Hima's code has an additional problem, in that a group by clause would have to be added in order for the OP to obtain the desired result.

Astounding
PROC Star

SASPhile,

Other posters have correctly pointed out ... you have to decide what should happen when the same Rank appears multiple times within the same grouping.

I'm just asking about something else here ... Did you really mean to select the highest rank for each Rankgroup?  Or should it be the combination of contract and Rankgroup together that determines the grouping?

Good luck.

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

Astounding,

select the highest rank for each Rankgroup.

Astounding
PROC Star

SasPhile,

In that case, you have solutions posted by others that should work.

If you want to select just one record per Rankgroup (even if many are tied for the highest Rank), try Keith's below.  If you want to select all records from a Rankgroup that share the highest Rank, try one of the SQL solutions above.

If you posted a solution that I misinterpreted, please say so.  But I don't think DISTINCT(*) would limit the selection to one observation per Rankgroup if the variable CC might be different.

Good luck.   

Keith
Obsidian | Level 7

If you only want one of the highest rank records returned, then proc summary does this very easily.

proc summary data=test nway;

output out=top_rank (drop=_:) minid(rank(_all_))=;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation