BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tomcmacdonald
Quartz | Level 8
ERROR:  An exception has been encountered.
Please contact technical support and provide them with the following traceback information:

The SAS task name is [DATASTEP]
Segmentation Violation

Traceback of the Exception:

ERROR:  An exception has been encountered.
Please contact technical support and provide them with the following traceback information:

The SAS task name is [DATASTEP]
Segmentation Violation

I'm getting this message while trying to parse a ~2GB CSV file using UNIX SAS 9.4.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

With code there is a chance we could identify some problem that might cause that message. Without not much to guess from.

By any chance did you try to use Proc Import and see if that would work? If so you might want to start with the data step code generated by import and modify as needed. If you go this route I suggest setting a large value for guessingrows to get the best fit for your data.

The size of the CSV file probably doesn't have an impact though there is a possibility that content might.

BennettR_
Calcite | Level 5

This suggestion sounds plausible, except that the

ERROR:  An exception has been encountered.

The SAS task name is [EXPORT  ]

Segmentation Violation
comes BEFORE the generated code can ever appear in the log.  🤐

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In your opening post, the TASKNAME was DATASTEP, but now it is EXPORT? 

Maybe you have a larger problem.

Please post the whole log of the failing step.

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@tomcmacdonald,

I've seen that error before on a number of occasions.  I think @ballardw's suggestion is a good one:  Start with a Proc Import and modify the generated code as necessary.   Usually there's something subtle going on, and it's hard to pin down when you get that error.  It could be some odd combination of characters and delimiters or the way an Informat is handling something or ...  who knows?  It's usually a lot easier to start fresh than it is to track down exactly what is wrong with one's data step.

Jim

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation