BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a situation in which I need to read in an extremely large flatfile (on multiple tapes) into my SAS program. I need to compare the zipcodes in this flatfile with a list of zipcodes I have in a SAS file. If the zipcode in the input file appears on the SAS zipcode file, I want to keep that record for additional processing.

I was hoping to be able filter out the records I do not what while I am reading them and not read in the entire file into a SAS dataset to then determine which records a what to keep. Something like:

data In_File;
infile MASTER Length=Recl TRUNCOVER;
input @001 zip $ 5. @;
If zip is in ZIPCODE file, then keep record;
run;

Any thoughts on how to do this in the Data Step that reads in the large file?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Consider using SAS PROC FORMAT to build a look-up data table, and you would use the SAS PUT function in your DATA step to determine if the input-file data contents is contained in your selection criteria (from your SAS file, after it has been converted to the SAS format). A SAS file can be used as input to the PROC FORMAT procedure, using the CNTLIN= keyword, when the SAS file is populated with specific-named SAS variables (FMTNAME, HLO, START, LABEL, at a minimum).

You can use the SAS support website http://support.sas.com/ to find SAS-hosted product documentation and also SAS user community technical papers on this topic.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Creating a Format from Raw Data or a SAS® Dataset
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/068-2007.pdf

SAS FORMAT PROCEDURE
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/59565/HTML/default/a000063536.htm
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You could also consider to use SET with the KEY option, if you are having your zipcode table indexed. Another approach could to read the file with a data step view, then do an inner join to the zipcode table.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the assistance "sbb". You suggestion worked perfectly. Great SAS technique!
deleted_user
Not applicable
You may want to create a format from your small SAS file. Your label can consist of 'matchyes' or 'matchno'. 'matchno' would have a value of 'other'. Then add a where statement when running against the large file, "where zipcode = 'matchyes'".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation