BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I need a way to identify specific information.  The data looks like the following.

publisher_name publisher_id book_id book_name word_count

The book_name contains either the subject itself or a phrase that promotes the book. 

e.g. ABC Corp  1234  A888888  College Math                                2

ABC Corp  1234  A666666  Math for Beginners                       3

ABC Corp  1234  A555555  Business Math for Starters           4

ABC Corp  1234  A333333  Math4Thinkers                              1

ABC Corp  1234  A222222  Math                                             1

ABC Corp  1234  A000000  GoMath                                        1

ABC Corp  1234  A999999  Math Learning                              2

ABC Corp  1234  B888888  Art                                                1

ABC Corp  1234  A888888  Multi Cultural Art                          3

I need a way to identify subject keyword (e.g. Math, Art are the keywords)

So for 1-word book_name, two possibilities: subject itself (Math) or word containing the subject (Math4Thinkers, GoMath)

2-word book_names, two possibilities: 2-word subjects (Natural Science, Political Science) or phrase containing 1-word subject (Math Learning, College Math, Environmental Law).

3-word book_names, three possibilities: 3-word subjects (Early Childhood Education, Criminal Justice System), phrase containing 1-word subject (Multi Cultural Art), or phrase containing 2-word subject (Natural Science Guide).

and so on....The longest string contains n words.

The search is done at the publisher level.

Also, most subjects are short, the longer strings are usually phrase promoting the book.  Phrase could contain the subject (NYT best selling book XYZ Art) or not related to the subject (NYT best selling XYZ Romance book but does not contain the word Romance).  Those phrases not containing the subject can be treated as a separate subject.

I need a way to search for subject keywords using the algorithm, so that the output will be something like

publisher_name      publisher_id          book_id             book_name                           keyword

ABC Corp               1234                      A888888           College Math                         Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A666666           Math for Beginners                Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A555555           Business Math for Starters    Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A333333           Math4Thinkers                       Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A222222           Math                                       Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A000000           GoMath                                  Math

ABC Corp               1234                      A999999           Math Learning                        Math

ABC Corp               1234                      B888888           Art                                           Art

ABC Corp               1234                      A888888           Multi Cultural Art                     Art

I thought of a way although I am not sure if it is the only way or the correct way.

For subject titles get a subset of the data containing only 1-word, then either the title is a subject (Math), or a title containing the subject (Math4Thinkers).  Sort 1-word title based on string length, checking from the shortest string (a subject), then check the next obs. and see if it the same as the last obs.   If the next obs. is the same as the last, then it is also a subject, if it is the same length but different, then mark it as a new subject.  When moving to the next length (e.g. 4-letter), check against every 3-letter word to see if it contains 3-letter subject.  If not, mark it as 4-letter subject, and so forth.  For n-letter 1-word subject, check against 1, 2, ..., n-1 letter subjects in the 1-word subset.

Use 2-word only title to check against 1-word title to see if any word in 2-word title matches keywords generated from the 1-word title. Those do not match will probably be 2-word title. Then use 3-word title to check against 1-word title and against 2-word title in the same way, and so on....For n-word brands, check against 1, 2, ..., n-1 brand.

Do NOT worry about two subjects appearing in the same title (the data does not include such circumstance).

I think the problem can be applied in other cases, so I am really interested to know what is the most efficient code to carry out the procedure.  Does SAS have some short-cut to get it done in a few steps (like proc expand does for moving avg.)?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

It would be helpful if you could reference your very similar previous posts when asking a new question.

I believe your approach is too simplistic and it would help if you could tell us what you really have as starting point and what you really need to achieve in the end.

Just a few titles found on Amazon:

- The Art of Mathematics in Business

- Secrets of Mental Math: Master the Art of Mental Math

- The Art of Mathematics

- Math and the Mona Lisa: The Art and Science of Leonardo da Vinci

Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the message.  I actually want to remove the last post since I didn't find the correct answer under a different section.  But I am not sure how to do it as I am new. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I wouldn't remove posts for which you've got already people answering you. Just write some explanation why you're closing it, reference to the follow up post if applicable and then mark the question as "answered". Then start your new post with a follow-up question and reference the old post.

This way people can follow you.

Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

What is the sophisticated method in you opinion to approach this problem?  Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe it really depends on what you have as data source and what you actually are trying to achieve here.

Librarians are since a long time registering and classifying books and my current thinking is that you shouldn't try to re-invent the wheel but to figure out how to access this information. I would assume that there are multiple database with such information where you could retrieve such information via a look-up over the book titles you're having. So it's more about researching what exists, where it's free-of-charge or at least "low cost" and what's required technically (the api).

My starting points would be the Library of Congress and Amazon.

Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think another member also mentioned this point in a previous post.  I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.  However, I am very interested in a solution that has application to other similar scenario.  Suppose we change a setting, instead of books, we are looking at grocery items.  And if there is no list of grocery items, then what in your opinion is a sophisticated way to approach the problem?  I think the issue is interesting, and I am curious to know if there is some proc or function SAS offer (other than SAS data mining) that can accomplish the objective.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Well, also for grocery items there are data bases (eg. from Nielsen). I don't think there is (and can't be) a single ready made SAS procedure for such tasks - but you can of course always implement your own logic. For the forum here: You will have to give it a try first and then eventually ask specific questions for specific problems where you get stuck. To give you a start below some code which "cleans up" your book titles in a way that it's may be easier to work out the key words you're after.

data sample;

infile datalines truncover dsd dlm=',';

input (publisher_name publisher_id book_id) ($) book_name :$30. keyword_test :$20.;

length book_words $30.;

book_words=prxchange('s/([[:upper:]][[:lower:]]*)|([^[[:upper:]]]*)/\1 /o',-1,book_name);

book_words=compbl(book_words);

datalines;

ABC Corp,1234,A888888,College Math,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A666666,Math for Beginners,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A555555,Business Math for Starters,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A333333,Math4Thinkers,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A222222,Math,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A000000,GoMath,Math

ABC Corp,1234,A999999,Math Learning,Math

ABC Corp,1234,B888888,Art,Art

ABC Corp,1234,A888888,Multi Cultural Art,Art

;

run;

Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the update.  I think the code performs upcase, compress function in one line.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Execute it and you will see what it does with stuff like "GoMath".

Sasuser2015
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for replying.  I tried the code, and GoMath remained to be GoMath.  It made the string all uppercase and removed punctuations and numbers. 

Was it supposed to be a different output?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If I run the code exactly as posted then GoMath gets split into 2 words separated by a blank "Go Math" which then should be much easier to analyse (eg. a record by word and then a simple frequency count to retrieve key word candidates).

Capture.PNG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation